Crossing Over

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Island3r, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

Hi Guys

Just introducing myself to this new forum area, i've just completed the MCDST so now i'm crossing over to start the journey towards the MCSA cert.

So here's a question that i need to ask:

What cert should i start with? I know the client one seems obvious as i've just finished the MCDST, but would it make a big difference to start with a server one.

Just so that i will have at least one networking MCP to add to my CV. Then i will go back and do the client cert.

Whats your thoughts guys :blink ???

Cheers

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCTS: Windows Vista, Config, MCTS: Exchange 2007, Config, MCTS: Server 2007 Active Directory, Config, MCTS: Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, CEH
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

290 would be the place to start if you're really after a server cert. 8)

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

There is alot of overlap between 270 and 290 and infact people suggest you study the overlaps on 290 too before taking 270. Dont forget they assume you have x months of experience of each exam and not having it might prevent you from juggling exams. I say go with 270 since you just done MCDST

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

Thanks for the advice guys i think i will sort of study the 270 and 290 side by side so i can see the over laps and maybe get a better understanding of it all.

I work in a w2k server AD environment at the mo with xp clients, so i've got expereince in most areas ( although not server w2k3) that i need to have but this cert should fill in all the blanks and give me a even better understanding.

Is the MS press books my best bet when studying for this or is there others that i should consider?

Cheers 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCTS: Windows Vista, Config, MCTS: Exchange 2007, Config, MCTS: Server 2007 Active Directory, Config, MCTS: Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, CEH
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

strange question then why not MCSA on 2k? Yeah i like the MS Press books.. the sybex ones i felt were too *thin* if you know what i mean.. i used the sybex books as a backup..

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

This is a good point Zim, one which i think i will swot up on before booking in for my 270 :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

While I did not like the MS Press books - they were written for an Instructor lead course and not as a self study text. In my experance they were well off the mark when it came to exams. On the other hand I thought Sybex were SPOT IT and passed every exam first time with them including 70-216 the W2K networking exam (also known as "The Beast").

We are all diffrent in the text we used get yourself along to a good book shop and see what YOU like :blink

8. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, i think i will pop into a book store to have a read through a few different books to see which i fine easiest to read. But i'll buy online to save a few coins :) Laters dudes 8)

9. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

Just another thought dudes, i'm going to check the M$ site next but i will get the offical CF word on the matter too. :D

Do you get tested on W2k3 or W2K3 R2?