Creating a Distribution Server

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by tripwire45, Mar 13, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Trying to create a distribution server on a Windows 2000 Server VM. The instructions say to copy the contents of the i386 folder from the Windows 2000 Professional installation disk into a folder on the server.

Problem: Whenever I open the i386 folder on the CD and attempt to copy all of the files and folder (select all -> copy) into the prepared folder on the server. the process locks up. I've tried it several different ways but with the same result. I've got sufficient room on the HDDs of each computer and about 300 MB of virtual RAM allocated so I don't think that's it.

I did discover that I can copy the folder itself (and thus the contents) from the CD to the virtual server's prepared folder.

Question: can the content be in the i386 folder in the distribution folder or do the contents have to be extracted?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hi Trip,

I've just tried the same thing on my MS Virtual PC 2004 and indeed it does lock up! But after approx 1minute it starts copying. Problem is that I then run out of disc space on the Virtual PC!

I tried it with 2000 Advanced Server Virtual PC.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Fairly sure the files have to be extracted before you can copy or move them. I recall this whilst learning about extracting the deployment tools for the 70-215.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I figured I could copy the i386 folder over to the C drive of the server and just rename the folder if necessary. Started copying the folder and its contents right way. I've looked in both the MS Press and Sybex Windows 2000 Pro texts and neither one says anything about extracting the files from the i386 folder before copying them over.

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I created a Windows 98SE VM to try out upgrading the OS to Windows 2000 Professional by connecting to a Windows 2000 Server distribution server. No problem. I went Start -> Run -> \\hostname using the hostname of the server. Got a login box asking for a password so I typed in the Adminstrator's password (the computers are all on a workstation; no domains). No dice. Says it's the wrong password.

I know what you are thinking. Create a user account for the Windows 98 computer or for myself as the 98 PC's user on the server. Oddly enough though, the 98 machine can connect to the shares on the host machine *without* authenticating...even tho the host is password protected. Is the difference because the host is XP Pro and thus a client OS and Windows 2000 Server is a server OS?