CRAZY IDEAS TO UPGRADE 3D CHIPSET IN LAPTOP!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yon325, Nov 10, 2005.

1. yon325

yon325 New Member

hi every one! i am new to this forum. i have an extreme ideal about my laptop. do anyone know how to upgrade the 3d chipset ati igp 340m to higher leve?? any ways to change the chipset, because i face a problem in playing some pc games. my ati only 32mb, any ways to increase it?? how to change the chipset, where to get the chip set and how to do it??? i really need some pro, or guru advices!! By the way it is possible to change my laptop processor?? :D

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I don't think that it is possible to upgrade the chipset in a laptop, as its usually attached to the Mother Board.

The Processor could be changed, but it will cost you a fortune to try and get hold of one.

The thing that you need to realise is that laptops aren't really designed for playing games, for games you should get a workstation with a decent 3D card in it.

HTH :biggrin

Oh, Welcome to CF by the way! :)

3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm with Simon on this one.

the money you would spend locating a processor, and upgrading your graphics in a laptop, would be much better spent on a base unit with a decent graphics card. The X800XT is pretty good value for money, if you want to go that route. Or the FX5900.

Good luck :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

like the others it will be virtually impossible...I dont recommend playing games on a laptop as like Simon said they are not really designed for that...best to get a desktop machine with alot of the whistles and bells...if its within your price range...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

clearly you perculiar fellows have not heard of the XPS M170 from Dell
    a 17" 1920x1200 resolution, Geforce 7800 GTX GO, 2.26 Pentium M, 2GB Ram
    runs most games better than my desktop ;)

I do believe Dell and HP are releasing models with upgradable graphics using new PCI-E technology
    but anything older and your stuck

theres no way to 'upgrade the chipset' on the laptop, bar ripping apart the motherboard, recoding the bios, soldering on the chip, and hoping you actually had a clue what you were doing :P

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Blimey, how much does that awesome Laptop cost? :blink

As a rule of thumb though Laptops aren't designed for games though are they???????

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Dell always seem to have just one laptop in their range that has half-way decent graphics for games. AFAIK they are in a minority on this - most laptops are very bad at games!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The Pioneer laptops I sell play games like Call of Duty, Doom3 etc perfectly well thank you, I suggest you check out the spec on recent systems :dry

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Thats good to know - I get asked about this all the time, and in the past have only been able to point to Dell.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I've seen the Dell laptops - they do look awesome, in all fairness. But if someone's only initially looking to 'upgrade'...well, I know I wouldn't have the spare £1000+ in my wallet to get that beauty.

Having said that, my current PC is having issues with even Morrowind these days. Time for another upgrade :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA