Crazy idea?

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by nugget, Feb 1, 2008.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It's a crazy idea but I thought that as I will have to set up my machine again shortly I would like to try something different and run almost completely in the virtual machine world. What I plan to do is set up the host machine again from scratch and install several vm's (gotta love the action pack). I would then use these vm's for the day to day work and manage to keep the host system clean and almost pristine.

The plan is that I install programs onto the vm's, work with them and if they screw up then I can just go back to a snapshot or from a backup copy.

It would also make it a whole lot easier to set things up again when I build my new pc sometime soon.

Anyone think that this idea could work?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It can work... but there's some big "gotchas"...

1) Your computer will always be running at least two OSes... the host one, and the one you're using. That'll put a drain on your system.
    2) VMs aren't perfect. And they're not very good for gaming. Video often uses a generic driver because it can't use the full driver in a VM... at least, that's how it was the last time I ventured into the VM realm.
    3) You'll need AV running on each virtual OS. But you knew that already. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Operating a virtual server infrastructure is a valid option as outlined in this article. As Michael points out, doing it at home has some drawbacks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for the tips BM. I know that I will have to put some apps on the host itself (such as titan quest and guild wars) but the general idea is get as much as possible off the host and into a vm.

As you pointed out I'll need an AV app on the systems that connect to the internet etc but for some that I plan to set up (like photo editing and website design) it won't be necessary as they won't be connected at all.

And the machine that I plan to build will be bigger better and faster (I got a very good bonus for christmas) so there'll be less of a problem there.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  5. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

In my last job, I worked almost entirely from a VM and it worked fine. It's great to be able to create snapshots of the current VM, which you can then return to at a later time if the VM gets hosed for some reason. Furthermore, you can transfer your VM to any machine, so you can easily transfer from one machine to another.

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I use VDI at home in a similar manner, and the good thing is I can connect to the VM from any machine in the house, meaning I dont need to app installed on every PC

works good for me

I can also access my VM remotely without risking my physical box (unless theres a problem found that allows an exploit to a) gain access to my sRDP session and then b) run code on the physical box powering the VM)

Nice idea nug, altho not sure if i would have a separate VM for different TYPES of work, that might be overkill, especially if you ever want to multi task

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

My VMWare server has been up since December (when I rebuilt my network) with no issues. The last time I rebooted it prior to that was March. I RDP into one of the VMs I have set up on it as my workstation and I can do everything I would on a non-virtualised machine (I don't play games on my PC - I only use consoles for gaming)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Glad to see that I'm not the only one. Thanks for tips guys. :thumbleft

9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Nugg,

This is what i do on my laptop for general computing and haven't found any issues worth reporting. It's like a *super* system restore!

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Okay, just to keep this theme going without another thread I've been setting up some vms lately for when I build my pc next week. It all seems to be okay (but I need more RAM) and I can do all the audio, video and photo work that I planned. The next one will be for streaming movies to and the kids love "their own" pc.