CPU knowledge

Discussion in 'A+' started by MattW, Apr 2, 2007.

1. MattW

MattW Bit Poster

Hi all,

Just on my 2nd read through of the Meyers 6th edition and I am on the CPU chapter. The chapter goes into some detail on all recent Intel & AMD processors. Do I need to remember all the specs on every processor for the exam ?

Thanks in advance
    Matt

Certifications: None - YET !
    WIP: A+
  2. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

in the older exam ; yes
    in the newer exam ; not so much

however like most things it will help you if you can recall some facts about some of the processors.

If it is in the book then there is a good chance it may pop up in the exam

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Matt,

I can only vouch for the '03 objectives, where they did expect you to know pin outs, who made what etc. I found listing the popular CPU's on a postcard useful to refer to when I had a spare two minutes. It is amazing what can sink in eventually.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Stevie

Stevie Byte Poster

I was wondering the same thing bud!

I skiped the section with all the CPU info in so I can go back to it at a later date.

WIP: A+, Network+, Security+
  5. MattW

MattW Bit Poster

Thanks for the quick replies - I've tried drawing up a table with the sockets for each processor maybe I will start with memorizing that and then move on the speeds and caches.

Lots to take in from this chapter !

Certifications: None - YET !
    WIP: A+
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

In the 2003 objectives exam there were a lot of questions on Pentium II & III processors and what was the L2 cache size for these processors. Just so long as you remember which processors go on which sockets and the L2 cache you should be OK:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+