CPU being reported as Unknown type

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ffreeloader, Dec 8, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

My antique workstation has just started reporting my cpu as other than it is. It has always reported, correctly, that it is an Athlon XP 1800+. Now it reports the cpu as an unknown type and that it's a 1600+. This happens both in the bios and in the OS reporting tools.

One other oddity that I just noticed is that if I boot into a generic kernel rather than one optimized for the K7 processor is that the OS only recognizes approximately 1 gig of ram. However, on boot the system recognizes all 2.5 gigs of ram.

Anyone have any guesses as to which component is failing? Motherboard or CPU?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hard to say - as they are so closely coupled. I'd also not discount the possibility of the motherboard battery failing so that random changes are being made to the BIOS setup.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

The battery is something I'd overlooked. However, I've reset all defaults a couple of times, and the changes in how things are being reported stays consistent after each reset and on all reboots. It is several years old already. I think I built this thing in 2003 so it's not like I haven't gotten my money's worth out of it. If I remember correctly I only put about $400 total into it including case and power supply.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1