Covering Letter

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by drum_dude, Feb 10, 2005.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hi All,

I want to send my CV to an IT company that is just 200 metres down the road from me but I can't think of a decent covering letter to add to it!

The company is your typical field based company and they are presently advertising for Field based Engineers. Even though they say experience is necessary, I do have some of what their asking for such as supporting Novell Networks and W2k networks too. But this is not in a field capacity...My background has been mostly ICT Tech for a private school, Support Technician for a finance company and a brief stint on Helpdesk at ITNET...all in all it adds up to 5 years experience in support.

I am currently out of work at the moment due to being “in between contracts” and spend most of my days studying for 70-216 (it’s a b*stard too)! However, not working is driving me fricken nuts!

So can anybody advise on how I go about this…I know that mentioning that I am training for an MCSE is a big plus so I will definitely mention that.

Thanks is advance chaps

Sacha

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  2. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

Being an employer myself;

1.Keep it simple and polite, get the basics of what you need
    to say within the first paragraph.

2.Make sure your cv stands out and it up to date.

3.Most of all write with confidence, it shows strength.

I get letters that drone on and on, when most of it could be
    condensed into half a page?

If you make it sound interesting then the rest can be discussed
    within an interview, and just be truthful?

hope it goes well for you, good luck

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Cheers Cazzam! Its always good to have advice from those on the otherside of the fence!

Many thanks

Sacha

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...