Courses

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Abs, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Abs

Abs Bit Poster

Hi guys

I got 2 questions......Is it worth doing any XP courses like MCDST or should anyone new to IT just start studying Vista?

Secondly....There's seem to be alot of new vista courses, is there anywhere one can found clear information of all the Microsoft courses available, which exams each course have and what profession they lead too......I know this seem stupid question, but is there something like a tree of all the courses and how they connect to each other, so one can plan a route for the profession they want to do later on.

Thanks guys

2. oliness

oliness Bit Poster

I think it's better to go straight to vista. I wish I'd done the MCP Vista exam instead of the XP one because it counts to the 2008 certs as well as the 2003.

Certifications: A+, Security+, MCP, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would do both.

XP isn’t going anywhere for a long time and you *might* see some more Vista PCs being rolled out as some companies migrate (slowly!) to Server 2008.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

do the MCDST first then the upgrade to Vista. XP & 2000 will be around for a long time and probably by the time Windows 7 comes out you may see businesses migrating to Vista but that'll only be the brave ones with lots of money to throw around :twisted::biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. The_Dark_Side

The_Dark_Side Bit Poster

Hi Abs,
    The answer is simple, when will you be looking to work?
    if the answer is soon, go with XP MCDST as you will have a better chance of employment today.
    Almost ALL compaines use the now tried and testsed XP orerating systems and Vista is new and, in most cases, slow.
    If you are looking to work in 2010+ Vista MCTS is probably the way to go!

Trust me, I used to be in IT recruitment!:eek:

for more information on paths see my other replies to other lost souls.:blink

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

[
    lol

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?