Course Options

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by usintheuk, Sep 17, 2007.

1. usintheuk

usintheuk New Member

I want to do my MCDST but am unsure the best way to do it, should i do the online course or get the interactive cd's?

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What online course, and what interactive CDs?

I usually recommend MSPress and Sybex for study guides. Other than that, I don't recommend ANY courses or CDs.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

as a great man once said "what he said" :)

if your company has access to any courses/videos then why not use them, but I have the 2 above-mentioned books and exam cram 2 - which I think should be sufficient.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Self study is the way no need to pay for a course :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. usintheuk

usintheuk New Member

Is it possable just to do the exam then? Where can you do the exam?

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If soon, at any Prometric or Vue testing centre.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Unless you have purchased a voucher from Pearson Vue, you can only sit Microsoft exams at Prometric centres as of 1st Sep.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Ah - thanks for the correction - I knew it was soon, but not just how 'soon'. :oops:

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

The only thing I would add to the advice above is, when you run into a subject you do not thoroughly understand from the MS Press books or the Sybex books(far and away my favorite of exam books) buy books on the fundamentals of the subject so you will have the understanding of how the technology works from the ground up. You will never regret learning more than "the MS way", or having learned more than is presented a book designed to teach you just enough to pass a test, when you actually start working with the technology itself.

Get as much fundamental knowledge as you can. Set your study goals for understanding the technology from the ground up and you will have a working knowledge of things and pass the test. Set your goal for passing a test and that's what you will know how to do, pass a test. A piece of paper that says you passed a test, and not really knowing how to do things, will not get you very far.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1