couple of questions please..

Discussion in 'A+' started by nn, Jan 26, 2010.

1. nn

nn Nibble Poster

Hi,
    Although not new to IT, i’m new here and new to A+ and have a couple of questions please..

1) I’m about to start studying for the A+ exam, would you recommend I study and take the new set of exams or old ones?
    2) What book would be best to study from Mike Meyers?
    3) Has anyone taken the new exams yet and are they much harder than the older?

Many Thanks

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
    Certifications: A+
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

hi and welcome to the forum.

It's always advisable to sit the current exams - wherever possible.

As for resources - take a look here.

Good luck - post if you need help. CF was a great help to me when studying for A+.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

4. nn

nn Nibble Poster

Thanks for the quick response guys!
    has anyone taken the new exam and is it more difficult than old?
    is there a Mike Meyers book available in the Uk yet? If not which other is best?

I really appreciate any help

Cheers

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The new system is currently in a state of flux and people are waiting for an official announcement from CompTIA.

They proposed changing lifetime certifications to certifications requiring renewal and maintenance on a 3 year cycle.

One aspect of this is that people would need to be on a 'recent' exam before entering the CEU system, it would therefore seem that you should take the absolute most recent exams to try to avoid incurring any extra costs in future.

The exact details of the CEU and renewal process have been pulled (or moved) from the CompTIA site, I assume they are making more changes.

Attached Files:

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Actually, they are both saying the same thing. Take the most up to date version of the exam available when you come to sit the exam (or delay slightly if the new objectives are about to be released). Regardless though, even if it were different - you are asking opinions, you are always going to get a mix.

Be aware of the impending changes to the CompTia A+ exam (linked by DMarsh), and if you are still looking to take it, work out which exams are live when you intend to sit it, then pick the newer of the ones (assuming they are both available) at that time.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. nn

nn Nibble Poster

so looks like the best idea would be to study for 220-701 and 220-702 and take the relevant exams right?
    Is there a new Mike Meyers book out to cover these exams yet?

cheers again!

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The new Mike Meyers book isn't released untill February that is because the the current 2007 (600 series) does not retire in the US until February although it does not retire here (UK) until August.

My advice if you really want to do the A+ would be to do the current A+ exams (you have to do 2) and use Mike Meyers current book which is his 6th edition as you should be able to get the A+ done and dusted by August.

His passport book 3rd edition is a good book too but is only to be used as a revision tool and not a study tool where as the compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition is a pure studying tool.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?