Couldn't think of a better name

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by TheNewGuy, Jul 9, 2010.

1. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

.... so hi everyone, lol.

I've always been interested in getting further into IT, but for some reason or another over the years it wasnt the right time.
    Im about to start doing the MCSA on WS 2003 course through distant learning from a college.
    Im not sure if ive started in the right place but was told id get a good basis for what IT has to offer by completing this course. Im also not sure about all these different exams to be taken and in which field i hope to finish up in, but ive seen some posts on here that have been helpful in that and should guide me along the path relatively straight.

Nice forum btw. :)

Certifications: N/a
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

You have been given some bad advice. The MCSA is really targeted towards people who have some experience managing Windows 2003 servers. It sounds like you're brand new to IT, in which case I would recommend starting with the A+ certification and then add the MCDST certification if you want to support Windows-based computers. You may also consider the Network+ as it is the entry-level networking certification. Learning how to administer servers in your MCSA course will not necessarily give you a "good basis for what IT has to offer". You may be able to get a good understanding of basic server maintenance, but there are a lot of steps you'll have to take before you'll be able to administer servers at most companies, and the A+ and MCDST will provide a better foundation for you. Starting at the lower level may also prevent a lot of frustration you could encounter if you don't understand the basics.

3. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Cant think of a better name................... If your not planning to hang around for too long :eek:

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome! :) I hope you stay around long enough so we can start calling you The Old Guy. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

I haven't been here very long but I consider myself TheOldGuy! Welcome to CF!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  6. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

BosonJosh - Thanks for the advice, i wish id signed up here before I had signed up to the course in all honesty. I just got my first information pack today.

Do you think it would be a good idea if i called the college up and ask some more advice on changing the course to a lower level one?
    Or is it not a total disaster that i try the MCSA course without any background experience?
    Really appreciate your advice thanks for the info once again.

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You will be over certified for your experience level and no network manage will hire anyone with no experience regardless of their certification.

Learning the material is a good thing but getting the certification without the experience can go against you when applying for jobs.

There are people who have been on here before who have gotten their MCSE but dont have experience and wonder why they cant get a job. The answer is the same as above.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

Yeah i understand that getting the qualification doesnt give me a 'free pass' of any kind to get myself further up the ladder right away. As i said in my first post i was told it was a good level to start at.

But from what you're saying, i can do this course and once completing it, i can go back and start at the lower levels to get all the basics needed to suceed in an IT career.
    I was just wondering if it was advisable to do those other courses now then the MCSA one (if im allowed to change courses) instead of doing the MCSA course first.

I realise work experience is key, especially nowadays, and hope that ill find my way sometime in the near future. Id quite happily volunteer somewhere but for IT based jobs im not sure there's much demand for such a thing.

9. greenbrucelee

The general starting certifications that are entry level jobwise are:-compTIA A+, compTIA Network+ and Microsofts MCDST + plus the upgrades if you wish. No further until you gain experience.

And you do not need a course for any certification unless your the type of person that prefers face to face tuition.

10. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

Yeah as i said, i wish i'd found this place before applying for this course as ive learned since browsing around yesterday that there are plenty of resources to learn on my own out there in order to gain certification.

Well as i have this coursework already now, i think ill fire on with that and hope it makes sense to me, then get on and do the CompTIA certifications and so on. Thats the plan anyway, sorry if i sound all over the place haha.

11. greenbrucelee

it wont hurt to get it but to get a job you might have to take it of your cv and get some lower level ones on there.

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The 70-291 exam will be a big challenge, since you've never administered servers before. The exam has a nickname... it's called The Beast. :blink

Can they teach you what you need to know to pass the exam? It's certainly possible. But you'll probably miss a lot of the deeper understanding that someone who has server admin experience will get, as you will likely be working extra just to learn the basics and all the new terminology and features.

If you want to drive onward, do so confidently, and I wish you the best of luck. However, if there were a way to do the A+, Network+, and MCDST instead, that would probably be a better route for you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

Ill phone the college first thing on Monday for some extra advice from a tutor there, hopefully they'll let me either change it or point me in the right direction for learning everything i need to know to pass these exams. So glad i signed up here, albeit a little late but better late than never.
    Once again, thank you all.

14. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

Took the tutor a few days to get back to me but good news in the end, im changing to CompTIA A+. Im still expecting it to take a bit of getting used to since im pretty much new with all this, but at least im starting from a better place now.
    This isnt a bump for more 'welcomes' lol, just to say one last thanks for the advice. Ill be hanging out in the CompTIA section from now on to bug you all with my newbie questions. :p