Could this woman get a job in your office?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by craigie, Jun 25, 2009.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

This is not really a news article, I wanted to post this from the BBC news website, to find out what is and is not acceptable in your work place in relation to dress and presentation.

Click on this link and post your thoughts!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

While I personally don't have issue with it (except the hair - I hate the whole shaven sides - long top thing on either guys or girls) I don't think she would get a job here.

I work at an engineering firm so its business image is serious. I think in a business where expression is encouraged - and I am thinking of those funky design companies she would find more successes.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I have let my standards slip over the years, I would always go suited and booted to work even if it were a relaxed dress code. Then at the last office admin gigs I was doing I wasn't customer facing so I just went in casual. I do miss wearing suits.

If she were in a customer facing role, i.e. on reception, then I would insist on a suit.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

If she wore a professional outfit suitable to the environment, she probably would, yes.

After all, Im sitting here typing with purple nailpolish on, and long hair right now...

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

You sexy beast ! :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

get a room :p

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. lukassan

lukassan New Member

In an arty environment this type of appearance is definitely an advantage but in more conservative office she wouldn't suit :D

Certifications: CCNA MCSA BSc Computer Science
    WIP: CCNP MCSE
  8. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

I'd totally tap her. :p:twisted:

EDIT: Rofl! After seeing the video at the bottom of the news page, I realised they did that at my workplace! OMG! lol

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

She could work in the server room.
    We keep it locked.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I don't give a damn about personal appearance when interviewing technical staff - never have. Provided the role I'm interviewing for involves working in a datacentre, server room or other non-public facing role I don't see the problem. If I'm interviewing three network engineers and ask them to solve a routing problem I tend to focus on the answer they give rather than what size their earrings are or whether they've got a tattoo. I want to know the person is going to be able to solve problems quickly as they arise - not whether they're going to look good doing it!

At interviews, however, I personally always turn up in a suit because I accept that is part of what the vast majority of employers want. If someone is happy enough to turn up for an interview looking like that then good luck to them. it means that they're not interested in working for a company that doesn't respect their dress sense - fair play to them.

PS: I wouldn't hit that. Not because of the way she's dressed, but because she's got a helluva grill on her - and that ain't my thang.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

I agree that appearances should not interfere with your job and aptitude of doing your work properly.

But, there are some workplaces who enforce a dress code unfortunately, and if she did turn up to an interview like that, I very highly doubt she would be selected.

Anyways, about tapping... lol
    What do you mean she has some "grill" ?

The dreadlock/rastafari is not my "thang" but I guess it would help for the pulling in an inverted cowboy position. :ohmy:oops:

12. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

My boss would have a fit if he we had someone like that working for us.
    Not the sought of way for a young women to look!

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  13. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

The issue is that regardless of whether we want to or not, we all judge people on first impressions.

For example a gang of teenagers walking down the street wearing hoodies, most people instantly think they are upto no good, even though they have just come back from playing hockey for England U16's, we cast judgement on them. Based around the information we have.

So when, going for an interview, why would you want to give yourself a disadvantage, knowing that the person(s) who are interviewing you, could be looking for a corporate image.

The expectation is that when you go for an interview, you should look your best, I would be thinking, crikey if this is when they make an effort, what would they look like on a Monday morning after a year and a client walks in for an unscheduled visit.

Not going to the give the best impression, so would I employ her, not on your nelly!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  14. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I agree its nice to think people have made an effort, however said person could make effort on day one, in a years time still look awful.

Some of the thickest people on the planet look good in a suit, its really not that great a metric.

Your ridgid preconceptions could quite possibly stop your company getting the best candidate.

I just missed getting hit by a giant pigeon present on the way to one of my interviews. If it had hit me would that make me a bad candidate ? :blink

15. Fergal1982

I absolutely f*cking hate that attitude. Why the hell should my appearance make any damn difference to your decision to hire me or not. Either i can do the job you want me to or not.

I hate that I've had to make concessions in my appearance in order to make a career in IT. When I first started I had to drop the nails and fangs, despite the fact I didnt work in a customer facing role (completely Telephone based). Now, I'm lucky that my manager declared that he didnt give a damn about nails, so I can wear them done again.

But fangs? no way. I know not to even attempt the conversation, it just wont happen. Does that make it right? hell no. Perhaps if more people took the attitude that its capability, not looks, that count, the world would be a much better place.

Having a dress code is one thing. I wear a shirt and trousers to work. On the odd occassion i bring out the suit (no tie unless i really have to, hate the buggers). But my hair and nails (and, were I wanting to mutilate my body, piercings) are, IMHO, none of your damn business. Your dress code ends at my clothes, you have no right to dictate to me the colour of my hair, nails, or the piercings on my flesh.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  16. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

Fergal1982, would you mind if we saw a picture of yours ?

Perhaps this deserves a thread too.

17. Fergal1982

i have a profile pic up, or do you have a specific "pose" in mind? dirty boy!

18. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I think someone likes you Fergal :D

19. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

No, I genuinely wanted to see because from what you said, I am assuming you did some pierciengs here and there you know.
    So was basically to see if it was too different from the woman in the picture.

I have nothing against body modifications, some are cute, but some are a bit too extreme like for instance the Tatooist from the news of that girl who had 56 stars on her face. That was rough!

But, feel free to pose in one too. :oops:

20. Fergal1982

Im against body modification in general in all honesty, dont really fancy causing myself unnecessary pain in order change my appearance. No piercings or tats. Generally natural hair colour too - just long. About my only non-standard modifications are/were my fangs (which i no longer wear), and my nail polish.

My point is that, even that is "not the corporate image", which is, quite frankly, bullsh*t.