Could this be fatal?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Karen44, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

Morning.

I have to be quick as having huge issues today.

The PC shut down as normal last night, not errors thrown up during the day.

This morning, I switched the machine on and it started to boot up. It then hung at a message box "Video Input - No signal", then went back to the beginning of the boot. This happened 5-6 times. It then asked if I wanted to start in Safe Mode - I tried to accept this, but again it just kept rebooting.

I eventually got it to start in safe mode, but yet again, it rebooted. This time, it took me to the normal Desktop.

I took the opportunity to back up some documents onto a CD quick, halfway through, it reboots. No messages come up before hand, it's like I've just hit the reset button.

I then managed to get it to stay on for about 10 minutes, did a few CD's and half a virus scan (just in case!). But the, you guessed it - it rebooted!

I've now been on for 5 minutes, so will post this quick before the next reboot!

Any ideas?

Thanks
    A very stressed Karen!

Certifications: None worth mentioning yet...
    WIP: A+, N+, MCSE
  2. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

I've just followed the following:

3. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

Device Manager checked - no errors found

4. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

http://www.memtest86.com/ Has anyone used this before to check is the memory is bad?

(Sorry for numerous messages - not sure when I'll be rebooted again!)

5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well you got me stumped on this one sweetheart...surely there are errors occuring but if they aint appearing then there is seriously something wrong...am sure one of the other lads will come up with something soon...just hang in there...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Have you installed anything onto this computer (hardware or software) recently?

Sounds like it could well be a hardware related problem.

:dry

7. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

My partner hooked up an ipod to it last week, however it has been working fine since then, so I suspect this is not causing the problem.....although I could be wrong!!

It's been on for 45 minutes now without rebooting.... :blink

8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

the iPod...wen did he get it...even if its working fine now have you done any new updates at all?

9. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

It was installed last week with version 4.7, then upgraded immediately to 5. No further updates since then. It advises if updates are available, but does not auto update.

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

hmm...iTunes 5.0 get rid of it now!!! we had so many calls here from people using Win XP who upgraded to iTunes to iTunes 5.0 so get rid of it and go back to the version that came with the iPod CD and dont update to 5.0!!!

EDIT: may not solve the problem but its a start!!!

11. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

Good call! Just had a surf around the net and discovered that indeed, iTunes 5 is possibly the most corrupt piece of software available!! :rolleyes:

I've found Apple's help forum, so will follow the guidelines to fixes.

Cheers for that - I'm sure that is what caused the problem!

Karen

12. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

While Ipid may very well be a very corrupt piece of software I doubt very much it has anything to do with this. Why? Because when this error occurs Ipod isn't even running. Windows isn't even running. Errors like this at boot time are normally hardware related errors.

First, you need to check to make sure that the video cable is securely plugged in and the connector/s securely screwed down. Some monitors have a permanently connected cable at the monitor end and some don't, so make sure the video cable is securely attached at both the computer and the monitor.

Second, you need to shut down your computer, unplug the power cable, open it up, and the carefully remove and replace your video card making sure it is securely seated. Make sure you use an anti-static strap when doing this. Do not touch the video card by anything but the edges.

If you don't have one, buy one. They are cheap insurance because it only takes a very small static charge to ruin computer components. You can kill computer components with a static charge release 100 times smaller than a static discharge that you are able to feel.

Third, while you are inside the computer case blow out all the dust and debris with air pressure. Make sure that you use the air pressure cans you can buy at just about any computer store or even at most department stores that have an electronics department. What ever you do don't just use the compressed air from an air compressor. Why? Once again static charges.

If this doesn't cure your problem you most likely have a video card that's dying. However, you can double check this by hooking your monitor into another computer and seeing if it works fine there or not. If the problem follows the monitor, the monitor itself is failing.

Not all hardware failures are "hard" failures. Some are "soft" failures, meaning that components will work intermittently for a while before they die completely.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm inclined to agree with ffreeloader.
    I had a similar problem recently and connected it to a dodgy card and/or driver.
    I changed the card and ran the Nasty File Remover from guru3d.com to get rid of all my Nvidia files (need to do it in safe mode, and more than once). Then reinstalled a stable driver, if you can find one...
    61.77 seems fairly OK.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This, and the memtest86+ version is about the only memory tester I have time for. It enabled me to persuade a system builder to replace the memory on this box when it was being flaky.

I have both setup on bootable CDs.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  15. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Karen,

Just picked up on your thread. I agree with the "general" in that from the symptoms you describe it is probably due to a hardware issue. The trouble is these can be troublsome- i am trying to get to the bottom of an almost identical problem at the moment!

This PC randomly locks up.
    I have removed one of the memory sticks and running it on one to see if i can isolate dodgy memory.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Thanks Harry. I would always rather use recommended tools. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  17. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hmmm i had a prob just like the above a few days ago at work... no ipod but worth a try... when processors overheat they restart so check all your fans in your pc starting with the processor and power supply.. do you have case fans?

BTW i know the temp in the uk might not be great but with the heat here in cyprus - the fans more or less solve this problem for us so give it a try...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  18. Karen44

Karen44 Nibble Poster

Hi ffreeloader - thanks for your detailed reply.

Very good point re iPod not even running at start up. :oops:

I did this earlier and it is connected fine. I did think it may have been knocked when the iPod was plugged in.

Since posting, the computer has been shut down and left for around 7 hours. I've just got back home and it booted up normally.

I can't find my anti-static strap so will try this another day. Unfortunately my cat was hit by a car a few days ago and things have been a bit hectic driving her here and there for surgery etc. Need to find a day I will have a good few hours to take my time fiddling about inside the case!

Also, ever since I have owned this computer (coming up 3 years) the last screen shown before it powers down is the "Video Input - No signal" message. Could this be relevant?

Thanks hbroomhall - I too only like to use recommended progs!

Hi Boyce - I'll race ya.....first one to fix the problem wins a, er, rather large bottle of vodka!
    [​IMG]
    Seriously though - hope you get it sorted.

Hey Zimbo - not such luck in my house! It's bloody freezing! I had only just switched it on after it had been off all night, in a room that was prob around 18degrees. Will check the fan is working in any case though :biggrin

Well, it seems this will be a good test for me seeing as I'm about to start the A+ course (if the book ever arrives!).

Thanks for all the replies :biggrin I'll let you know how I get on.

Karen

19. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

It could be. It also may be that the motherboard is killing power to the video card before it powers itself down. I remember seeing that message on some very old computers, as in back in the 80286 and 80386 days. I didn't know much about them then as I didn't own one or work with them then, but I can still remember seeing that message on friend's computers when they would power down. However, I don't remember ever seeing that message on any "modern" computer that didn't have some type of hardware problem.

That doesn't mean it isn't possible that your computer legitimately shows that message at shutdown, it just means I haven't run across anything like that in a modern computer. However, your boot time problems are not a normal occurence.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

IMHO Freddy, I encounter this quite often on perfectly working PCs (inc my home and work machines) - it is just as you say, the PC powering down the VGA output during shutdown. Wouldn't imagine this is anything to do with this problem.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity