Costs of MCITP : EA (self study)

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Denver Maxwell, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Denver Maxwell

Denver Maxwell Nibble Poster

Being made redundant… time to buy a wee box (VM Server) and get on with MCITP : SA or EA

Though I am questioning myself as I have the experience, it seem like it will be a fair bit of cramming for a Cert… should I just go for another job or get this thing done… (ive got the niggles I want this cert and I have little idea why! I just want it)

I figure that including materials, licensing, hardware, tests and practice tests all in its going to cost about £1,600 to get a MCITP : EA (after I sell the hardware off), and probably take the best part of 3-5 months full time (at least this much). But I may as well do something while I look for a new job… (Salmon fishing season may get in the way of a new job just now!)

What sort of costs would you that have qualified expect to incur on such an adventure as an MS Cert?

Certifications: VMware VCP v5, GVF Level 3a, ITIL V3, Windows 2008 something or other...
    WIP: Prince 2? CCENT? mmm donno
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Do you have server administration experience?

For me, just books, practice exams, and the exam fees. I've got hardware already, and with a TechNet or Action Pack subscription, you can get access to any OS that you don't already have access to.

That said, I wouldn't recommend taking 3-5 months off just to certify. I promise you, it won't look good on a CV, no matter how you try to spin it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Denver Maxwell

Yes i am admin on a pan european domain, 2008 based, mostly virtulised on XenServer, IBM Blades and SAN's Virtualy everything in the book, TS Farms / Gateways, Exchange 07, SQL 05 and a bucket load more.

scary thing is ive migrated the euro domain from 2000 to 2008 and onto new hardware, im the only one that knows how it all works...

Indeed your probibly right on that one, ive done a good percentage of what i would need, i may go for SE and try and get a new job at the same time...

I really dont want to sit on my arse doing nowt on the dole untill i get a new job...
    I suspect i could pick up the certs fairly quickly. i guess we will have to wait and see.

Certifications: VMware VCP v5, GVF Level 3a, ITIL V3, Windows 2008 something or other...
  4. Denver Maxwell

BosonMichael what test / lab equipment do you use?

Im probibly going way over the top but am thinking along the lines of a Dell PowerEdge T410 2ghz Quad, 16gb ram and 6* 260gb Sata R5 ~ £1800 i figure i can sell it off later... Also considerd a cuple of T105s.

5. BosonMichael

If you've got more than a year's experience administering servers in a multi-site, multi-server environment - and it certainly sounds like you do - then you have enough experience for the MCITP SA and EA.

That said, the MCSE on 2003 is very much in demand, as most companies still implement 2003. Why not do both?

Usually, the network I administer. ;) Most recently, that was a buncha Dell servers with a 450+ user base.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. Denver Maxwell

Skipped 2003 went straight to 2008, saying that i have got most of the experience and still have several 2003 machines "Legacy", honestly i know more of 08 but im sure i could do 03 also. However im thinking in longer terms the 08 will be better as i still have the 00 and 03 experience. if i had the time and money to do both i would, however i think ill have to settle for one at the moment.

:) yeah me also, though thats about to change :(
    I can keep the systems up but not the business im afraid

Think ill have to chart / log my progress on here it may make some fun reading for someone.
    Thanks

7. BosonMichael

If you've been made redundant, then you need to certify on what most companies are using: 2003.

You say that the 2008 certs will "be better". I'll put this in a slightly different perspective. Do you believe my MCSE on NT 4.0 is useless? Or do you think I'm probably a darned good tech who has been in the industry for a while? If nothing else, the MCSE on 2003 will make you look like you've "been around longer"... at least, long enough for someone who knows what they're looking at on a CV to take notice.

In addition, employers don't really know what the MCITP is yet. It hasn't gotten anywhere CLOSE to the buzzword status as the MCSE acronym has. The MCSE is instantly recognizable to employers; the MCITP is not.

Ultimately, the decision is yours... but if you want my advice on which certification is going to make you more employable, the choice is clear, in my opinion.

8. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Denver I urge you to take heed of BosonMichaels sage advice. None of us have anything to gain or loose depending on what path you take but I ask you this, why not have both? Once you go down the 2008 Server path there is no backtrack route. Once I have my MCSE 2003 I only have to pass 2 exams to achieve the MCITP you will get.

I can't add to his advice but to illustrate one of his points, go onto any job website you want in the world. In the skills field type MCSE then write down how many jobs come back. Do the same for MCITP. No doubt that will change with time but for now, your answer is before your very eyes (as if by magic ha). Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. BosonMichael

Actually, that's not entirely true. I'd have MORE to gain if he were to pursue the MCITP on 2008, because Boson doesn't have any ExSim-Max products for the MCSE on 2003 (only ExSim, not ExSim-Max). But what would benefit ME wouldn't benefit HIM. So instead of lying to him for my own benefit, I choose to tell him the truth for his benefit.

10. JK2447

Ah well there you have it Denver, can't ask for fairer than that

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  11. Denver Maxwell

:) i kind of agree with you both and i do respect your thoughts on this.

I am looking at this from a slightly longer time perspective, i would ideally like to have MCSE 2000/2003 and MCITP EA however costs / time will be an issue.

I am hoping that by the time i complete this, that the UK may be starting to pull its ass out of this recession and that employers will be looking to invest in IT infrastructure again.

Id like to position myself as some one looking to make the move to new tech. The idea being most new and re-deployments are going to progress towards 08 in the next year and at least some company’s will ideally wish to have someone that has not just experience of it but has the certs to go with it. {I agree that people with both will look better}

My CV would say something along the lines of :
    MCITP Enterprise Administrator 2008 (the replacement for MCSE 2003)

[im not stating i have one but HR will pick up on that keyword id hope]

12. BosonMichael

Well... all I can say to that is that when there was no recession, companies were (and are!) still using Windows 2000 instead of upgrading to 2003 or 2008. While companies may indeed purchase 2008 servers, few will upgrade their entire infrastructure to 2008, leaving many, many companies in need of people who can support 2003.

Unfortunately, WE don't get to decide whether a company moves to "new tech" or not. Our jobs are to support the technology that a company has... not to implement technology just because you know how to support it or because that's what you want to move to.

In short, I think you're putting the cart before the horse.

That said, it sounds like your mind is made up, so I simply wish you wisdom in your decision.

What makes you think that, especially in light of my first paragraph of this post?

13. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

This is not always the case. The last two big projects I worked on consisted of an upgrade from Windows 2000 to 2003 for the server OS and the other was replacing server hardware and migrating the Server OS (2003 in this case) as the customer had the full version and was entitled to move it to new hardware.

To be honest having MCSE on your CV will be best in the long run. Just my opinion though. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. JK2447

Is it just me or am I the only one who wouldn't be happy NOT gaining what could be the last MCSE (2K3) as it were?

Its been talked about for so long in our office there's no way I'd go straight to a MCITP! Couple that with the fact that I'm not even sure a lot of employers know what it is or the distinction between an MCITP: EST and a MCITP: EA! I'm going from the jobs I see on jobsites by the way . . .

15. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Exactly, CVs with MCSE on Windows NT grab our attention when we read them I gives the impression that the candidate has been in IT for a while.

Ive only seen a couple of jobs asking for Server 2008 certs. Id still interview the guy\gal with the MCSE though! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. Denver Maxwell

Yes but i can and do support 2003, 2000, but not NT (im not that old... yet)

guess that may be the case in most places, i guess i was just lucky to get involved with the decision making, 2 years back my company wanted to spend the pennies and move to 2003 - my advice wait for 2008 to hit buy the licensing for 2008 and move to 2008 (especially as we could always downgrade). saving in the long run.

In fact ive saved more in the last 3 years than what i was paid, way, way more.

Hay i loved 2000 Server was quite a fine peace of kit. (i like 2003 also)

mostly my pocket makes the decision, i cant do both so i figure go for the one im most confident in, especialy as it has the longest shelf life.

why oh why didnt i take the blue pill!

Honestly if i have to go back to 2003, ill quit this gig and become an accountant they get paid more anyway.

17. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Only once you get your whatever-the-hell-accountants-need certs :wink:

When you say 'go back', do you mean an infrastructure running solely 2K3?

Could be a good challenge for you. I see a lot of companies in the coming years either virtualising the backside off the infrastructure and/or moving everything to 2K8. With your experience, the MCSE 2K3 shouldn't be the task for you that is is for 'greener' techs and you'll be primed to move them the hell off all that kit. For the sake of the exams and core books, would it be that much of a chore, given the benefits long-term?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  18. Denver Maxwell

9 years, 2000, 2003 and 2008

funny i wouldn't give much thought to someone that had MCSE on Windows NT but had not progressed!
    but maybe that’s just me.

if they had all NT, 2000, 2003 and 2008 id be really quite impressed. but then i would also wonder how old they were...

Id rather take the 2008 rute and then do other certs v's doing 2003 and 2008 but yes i would really like to have the MCSE title..

19. Denver Maxwell

Well at least that brought a smile to my face today.

Ive already virtulised everything that could be, even the 2000, 2003, 2008 and XP boxes, though not the AIX ones...

mmm its a short tearm thing, i do wonder how quickly i could get the MCSE nailed.

I just shudder at the thought of answering questions about DDS 1's

20. Denver Maxwell

MCSE Core Requirements (big books dont scare me)
    MCTS 70-620 Vista (this is one ell of a book)

Ram is Here 16gb.
    Dell PowerEdge T410 is on its way... (yeah i know its overkill)
    HDD are on there way 4*1tb Raid 0 id expect (performance not space)

70-290 first i guess. Seems like ive done this before... (that i expect is a good thing!)