cost of office 2007 exchange per user

Discussion in 'Software' started by j1mgg, Sep 22, 2011.

1. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Just a general question and expect it hard to be answered or possibly not.

I work for a company that has roughly 300 users and default install when building laptops is office 2003 standard.

At the moment we have people on office 2003 standard and pro, office 2007 standard and pro, some with project 2002 and 2010, some with visio 2003. Basically we have loads of different people on different things and wouldn't even want to think about how the liscensing is being done at the moment.

That's the real reason I would like to see how much it would be per user for an exchange copy where 1 install would cover all office bases.

Another thing is we use lotus notes and wonder if that is why we have never done the exchange thing, i have also only been here 6 months and just looking to see how things could be improved, although not my job and will fall on deaf ears.

Cheers

Jim

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

You'll probably find lotus notes was installed years ago when it was a major player and familiarity is a powerful thing ("its just email after all" says the bean counters). There are varying levels of price involved in cals depending on how you buy them but a rough guide would be as the linky says. You'll probably find lotus notes cheaper for the company, my last place was a groupwise shop and that saved us an absolute fortune on cals etc.

Office 365 is quite competitivly priced is cloud is your thing though.

Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Pricing

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is there anything else running on the Domino\Notes server? Domino can run email but it can be used for other applications as well, this could be why you are stuck with Notes as your mail client for now.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

True, the apps that companies have deployed via Domino can provide a perceived 'challenge' in moving over to another messaging solution.

Do you have an enterprise agremeent (EA) with Microsoft? If so, why not call over your local Account Manager and ask them to give you the lowdown on the licensing terms, agreements and changes. It's what they're there for and more than happy to help clarify the situation.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. diesel

diesel Bit Poster

6. Shinigami

Don't forget the older cloud solution from Microsoft (BPOS) is now being replaced with O365 which in itself provides a fair bit more over the previous version. Having said that, I won't compare it to Google's offering because I have no real-world experience with Google apps...

But both can be tested for free so it's always worth doing so before hanging over your company's hard earned cash.

7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

There password policy is really starting to do my head in, I'm amazed at the amout of people who struggle to track there last 24 passwords used(with a change period of 3 months),you use to be able to just opt out but they changed that recently.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  8. Shinigami

Which one, Google Apps or O365?

Remembering 24 passwords... it's a little silly really. More and more companies are moving to a long password policy using phrases. No lockouts, just long passwords. Not even complexity rules are in place.

You can read up on the benefits elsewhere, I won't go into the pros and cons here apart from actually preferring the passphrase opportunity.

9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

BPOS/O365

About User Passwords BPOS Standard

10. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster