Content management systems

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by zxspectrum, Feb 3, 2010.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Does anynoe here involved in web , make use of content management management systems???? Im only asking as we are having to review three systems, the system i am reviewing is called Joomla. This is an open source CMS and seems to be popular. However, instead of downloading one and reviewing it that way, our tutor says that we can go off other peoples reviews/opinions.

So if you use this type of CMS and you think its decent or pretty good, would you do me the favour of writing say 2 lines that sums up your experience. I only need about 4 or 5 comments, and by using these it may show that my comments are more up to date that what the others are going to find. Obviously you will be referenced in quotation marks, and the site will also be put in my refs list, im assuming that this is ok and no one has a problem.

Im gaining no financial incentive, and if you feel that you dont want your words published, then dont leave any, simples

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes I have used CMS systems. Not a fan of any of the ones I have a large amount of experience in, in fact I have pretty much removed them from my CV.

I would say that an article based purely on second hand opinion of unverified sources is going to be pretty worthless, not sure what your tutor was thinking.

It would have been far better to give you a website project to implement and split into teams, each to evaluate a different CMS and produce a review based on your proof of concept.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I have to agree with dmarsh here. You are dealing with unverified secondary sources on this site, they are about worthless. After all, I could easily be the lead developer on Joomla, and say its ace without letting you know that. You have no way to judge my possible bias on the matter. I generally trust the opinions of the people here that are regulars, but the opinions of newfish are verified somehow before I rely on them. Even then, I wouldn't trust one to recommend a pacemaker for me (no offence guys).

I've used one a while back, cant remember its name. Can't say I liked it much. Personally I think they add an unnecessary level of obfuscation, and should only be used by those with only a passing ability at development. For professional developers to be using it is abhorrent (and I know, my last job had a site developed in a CMS exclusively). Theres just no control, no true understanding of how the hell things are working behind the scenes. Not to mention the bloatware (admittedly you get that even in asp.net though - but CMS seems to be worse at it).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

The reason he said we werent going to evaluate these CMSs is because there are too many and it woulf take too long, and so he said that we were allowed to base them on the reviews of other people. The whole thing is based around playing with 5 pcs to get them talking to each other with one having a site on, 3 machines will have win 2003 server, one with xp client and one will have a ste on.

Then we set up a LAN with a domani controller etc, whilst hosting the cms for the intranet.

I think its cos this terms pretty short, and the hand in date for this assignment is march, and for a change im getting ahead.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680