Connection routed through server to router drops

Discussion in 'Networks' started by HTF, Apr 2, 2010.

1. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hi,

I have another issue:

Network:
    - ADSL+ router IP 192.168.1.1
    - Windows server (2K3) IP 192.168.1.10

I set the DHCP on that server and everything looks fine with the connection when it's assigning '003 Router' the IP of the router (192.168.1.1) but I also enabled Routing and Remote Access without any additional configuration in the routing table (please see below) and changed the '003 Router' to the IP of the server (192.168.1.10) so I could filter the packages and basically better administer/maintain the network.

The very annoying problem is that with the IP of the server configured as a gateway the internet connection drops.:mad

I tested today and it's happened twice within one hour. When this occurring I still have LAN connection as I can RDP to the server from my laptop but I cannot ping router from server, laptop at all. When I reset the router everything's back to normal.
    I though it's maybe a problem with my ISP as I had issue with them before but when I set the router as a gateway it was working for last few days.

So is it something wrong with the server configuration or the server just can't handle it (as much as five machines in that network ;) ). The server has Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter and the router has also 4xgigabit ports so I don't really know where is the bottleneck :rolleyes:

Routing table:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
    Certifications: A+
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Well the only thing that stands out to me is the fact that you have two gateways on the same subnet. Would it not be better to either:

a) use the w2k3 server as the router using an internal ADSL card for the outside and a NIC for the LAN connected to a switch,

or

b) forget w2k3 as a router or filter and just use a cisco solution (router) to achieve what you want.

I've yet to see a Windows product being used as a fully blown router, firewall or packet filter. I know it has that functionality but dedicated hardware from Cisco or Bluecoat etc can do a much better job!

Just my two cents!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

OK, in this case do you think it would help if I will assign additional IP (different subnet) for the server NIC, lets say 10.0.0.10 and then I will set DHCP to distribute IPs from the scope of 10.0.0.100-150.
    So all the machines will be on the 10.x.x.x subnet with server IP as gateway which in turn will be forwarding all traffic to router with 192.x.x.x?

4. drum_dude

Have you stopped DHCP on the ADSL router?

As for your question...well possibly. When I was doing the W2K RRAS stuff I tried a similar sort of thing to you until I read up that the product isn't used for that in the real world. So I knocked it on the head and just brushed up on the theory! But it was so long ago!

Another thing is that I think you may have some DNS issues as well...I'm sure that you'll have to forward DNS requests to the router from the DNS server.

Sparky or Zeb may be able to point you in the right direction! Where I work, we just use dedicated hardware to do the job as a W2k3 solution is overkill as that uses all layers of the OSI model. Useless info for you I know!

Crikey, I really need to restart the certs again!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  5. drum_dude

Forgot to add, one way I found this to work is to use VMware and create a virtual network of computers/servers as VMware will take care of the bridge between the virtual and real network. Also, the benefit is that you haven't got loads of physical machines to think about!

So maybe be better to do it that way.

6. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Yes, I disabled DHCP on router, at the moment all machines running on subnet /8. Server and router still on /24.

It's OK but I just test it as I like my toys :D. A small issue is with port forwarding to PCs, like RDP as router has fixed IPs on the forwarding tab so I can set only last octet and as it's still on /24 I cannot route IPs any more.
    I enabled NAT on the server and there is an option for some kind of forwarding but as you said it's not the best solution so I just playing around as I'm also preparing for MCSE and I like to test it what I learned/red to the end ;).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  7. drum_dude

Use VMware mate. Reason I say that is becuase your environment is not the typical scenario! In reality you'd either have a IPStream ot IPClear line and most likely that and the stuff connected to it would take care of the filtering etc. The battle you'e fighting at the moment won't really benefit you in the real world...so create a real world scenario on VMware and then take it from there! It's piece of p1ss to do!

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Then maybe you need to read up on ISA, i think you'll find it does the job rather well :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. drum_dude

Doh...forgot about that one!... :oops: