Resolved Connection problem

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Josiahb, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I've got a machine I'm meant to be deploying as a replacement to a user on our network but theres a problem.

When hooked up at my desk the machine connects to the network and works without any problem at all.

When hooked up at the desk for the user its being issued to it won't pick up an IP address from the DHCP server and won't talk to anything else on the network when configured with a static IP.

I've tried all the usual stuff, different port on the switch, different floor socket, different patch cable etc. I've checked there are no weird settings on the box or the switch. No one else on this part of the network is having any difficulty and his old boxes works fine when connected in the same location.

Took the machine back to my workstation, hooked it up and connected with no problem.

Any ideas?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
    Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yep, it sounds like there is a fault with the cabling. If you have a CAT5 tester. Plug the cable you are connecting to the NIC on the PC and the other one at the patch panel.
    If you haven't all you can do is try another floor point. I used to work in a place where about 3 out of the 50 floor points were duff.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Boyce, I've already tried another floor point and no luck.

As I say the bit that is giving problems is the fact another machine works in exactly the same location, same cabling etc and the machine in question also works when its back at my desk.

If others on the same switch were reporting problems it would make my life so much easier but no one is...

4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

have you tried it on other known working ports? try changing duplex settings, i had a similar issue a while back, not exact bu the same level of "wtf". If i remember part of the fix was swapping the cable ENDS around. sometimes weird shiz goes happens lol

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I've had similar issues.

Try updating the network driver. Some drivers may not work well with a particular switch and the duplexing/speed settings that the switch supports.

We had a team from one site configure a desktop for a user in another site. The machine worked fine in the original site, but once it got shipped to the other site, it just wouldn't work right on the network there.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Well that makes sense.... NOT.

I've swapped the floor point for the printer in the same office, the machine now connects to the network without any problem and so does the printer. Fecking networks.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, both repped for your help.

7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That's a strange problem you had there...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Josiahb - Glad you got it s

Good point!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT