Connection keeps timing out

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Aya, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Aya

Aya New Member

Hello there!

I'm encountering a problem that I had before and it had a very simple solution... that I can't remember.

The problem is that for about ~40% of all the websites I try to access, the connection keeps timing out. It happened with my domains before and it was a real pain, however, someone told me how to fix it. I've looked through all my e-mail but I can't find it anymore.

All I found was run ipconfig /flushdns ... I did that but it didn't help.

I hope anyone knows what's going on because it's driving me crazy ^^ ... thanks so much for your help!

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

While this sounds like a DNS problem it would help if you told us the error you get when the browser times out.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Aya

Aya New Member

Thanks for the quick response!

In Firefox I get:

The connection has timed out

The server at www.whatever the domain is.com is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Internet Explorer is set to German so I don't think that'll help? (rarely use it anyway). In English it should be something along "Server not found. Site cannot be displayed."
    I also checked the firewall settings and they seem to be fine.

4. hbroomhall

Doesn't sound like a DNS issue then.

What about pages hosted by your ISP? Are they OK, or do they also time out? This will tell us whether it is the ISP's connection to the rest of the Internet is in trouble.

And how are you connecting? Dialup, or ADSL or Cable?

Harry.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Aya

Aya New Member

My ISP is Chello (chello.at) and their site's working fine for me. Hope that's what you mean by sites hosted by my ISP. (Is it?) I have a Cable connection.

The ping for www.google.com is minimum 116ms and maximum 119ms.

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok, *not* DNS related then :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Aya

Aya New Member

Thanks anyway :) Other suggestions?

9. hbroomhall

In which case it is a problem with Chello. You will need to call them, or look at their status page (if they have one) to see what the problem is.

The ping times you quote look slow, but not *that* slow, but without a traceroute I can't tell where any problem might be.

Harry.

10. Aya

Aya New Member

Okay thank you, I will try calling them tomorrow morning! =)

Thanks again!