Connecting to the internet with Orange boradband

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by pug-performance, Apr 14, 2009.

1. pug-performance

pug-performance Bit Poster

:dry Hi, guys, its been a while since ive been here but i was wondering if someonce could answer this question for me.
    I went to a customers house today and they are using orange boradband which is an adsl connection. Now the problem was the main machine that had the router and modem was working ok but the laptops werent picking a connection up so i reset the router. I managed to set up the connection up again using the wizard but now when you load up a web page, it gets automatically directed to an ISP authentication page..which asks for a system password, user name and password.

The user didnt know any of this info so i wanted to know is this info provided by the ISP as in orange becuause im sure its to do with the ISP and not the wireless router settings.

Does anyone have orange boradband and does this page come up if you create or reset the connection?
    thanks

Certifications: ITIL Foundations
    WIP: A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What type of modem is it mate? USB? Does it have its own switch?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. pug-performance

Na mate its a speed touch one...its not a usb one and i didnt see a switch on it.. it was just a small black dinky thing.

4. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Changed my sister's USB speedtouch modem at the weekend for a Netgear wireless modem/router as her kids now have laptop each for school.

I just put in her Orange ADSL username and password after logging in to router and running the connection wizard, connected ok no problems setup wireless network for laptops with security and everyone connects to internet no problem.

Regards

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  5. Sparky

Did you setup the initial connection in the interface of the router?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. pug-performance

what was the format of the username and password...the only info i had was the username was something like
    [email protected] and then the password.
    is this the right info, meaning is this the format the username should be. The thing that gets me is there were 3 fields to complete. System password, username and password..

7. Sparky

The system one might be for the router itself to prevent people changing wireless settings etc.

8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Sounds a bit like a sin bin website. If the modems connection is fine but there is something wrong with the user/pass it may direct you to that login page (I think AOL do something similar) best bet is to get the customer to have a look through their paperwork for the user/pass (and any other setttings) or phone them up.

Of course it could also always be a phising attack of some kind.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing