Connecting multiple offices

Discussion in 'Networks' started by datarunner, Aug 29, 2008.

1. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi all

just looking for some advice here.

what would be the best way to connect 2 offices that are about 100m apart so that they can share files etc?

info appreciated

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Depends if it is less than or more than 100m. If less than then Cat5. If more than, then if there is somewhere to site a switch, use 2 Cat5s and the switch near the middle.

I'm assuming all sorts of things about your offices - you need to give more info if you want a better answer!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I agree with Harry - you're not exactly providing us with a lot of info.

For example, if your offices are in two completely separate buildings hanging 100m of Cat5 out of the windows probably isn't a good idea. :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm with Harry - need a bit more info to answer this one!

Is there redundant space between the two 'offices'?

Are the two 'offices' actually in separate buildings?

And whatever else Harry said :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Erm, I remember the A+ saying that connecting two buildings with copper cable was a no no as each building had its own "ground voltage" and that the copper cable acts as a conduit for the two making a possible discharge - or something like that. Does that apply in this situation?

Failing that, why not have two wireless access points close to the edge of each building or is there a lot of other stuff in between?

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  6. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi guys

sorry for the lack of info.

ok its 2 offices, totally separate buildings with no link or connection between them. they need to be connected to share files and printers rather than having to email files to each other for printing.

was thinking the solution could be some sort of online storage where both offices can save there files to which can then easily be accessed be either dept.

or maybe logmein's hamachi vpn solution

cheers

7. hbroomhall

100m is pushing your luck with WiFi, particularly now the main band is so crowded.

And you almost certainly have much more than 100m of copper cable connecting your house to another building (called a 'telephone exchange'). :p

Harry.

8. hbroomhall

What is in-between the buildings? There are all sorts of ways of dealing with this, but it is beginning to sound as if you need a site survey, and things will start getting expensive.

Harry.

9. hbroomhall

One way if there is difficult terrain, is to get SDSL in each building, with a fixed IP and run a VPN between the buildings.

Harry.

10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If the total run is up to 100m (this is not the distance between the buildings, but the distance from one end of the CAT6 cable to the other) then you can use external CAT6. You can use 2 external WAP's, like TimoftheC suggested, but that does depend on what around, eg other wireless network, other interferences, etc plus how heavy the usage will be. Last choice, and my prefered way would be running fibre?

Fibre has come down alot in price recently and is not prone to alot of interences that CAT6/5e is. The main issue there is if you're going to run the fibre underground or overhead, both has it's advantages and disadvantages.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi there

in between the offices are other offices ie one office at one end and other office at the other, with offices in between.

i agree that wifi would be pushing it

12. hbroomhall

If it is all one building then the Cat5 solution, if under 100m, would be easiest. You will need wayleave from the building's owners for this. If over 100m then fibre might be the best - as wagnerk suggested.

Harry.

13. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just supplying a link to BT's page regarding their prices for SDSL. It's is a pricey option, imo, but like hbroomhall said, if the terrain is difficult...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  14. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi there

i dont think there is anyway to cable one end to the other so i think i am looking at some kind of virtual solution to share files and printers

regards

15. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Data - is there no line of sight between the two buildings?

If there is, would some sort of microwave solution be an option? I suppose that would depend on your budget.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  16. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi buddy

its just 2 small offices at either end of a building with a very limited if none at all budget. so i dont think microwaves or fibre etc are going to be practical here.

so im trying to look at some inexpensive, uncomplicated vpn solution

cheers

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Before leaving my previous employer, we were testing out a point-to-point wireless solution to send data between two buildings about 4/10 of a mile apart (with trees and a cemetery between them). I left before we got the antennas installed. However, it's pretty expensive if you're on a limited budget... couple thousand dollars US.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. hbroomhall

Why not? A drum of Cat5 and some cable clips plus a bloke up a ladder should do it nicely. :biggrin

Harry.

19. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi there

i understand what u r sayin but i dont think there is any access to the offices between so running a cable might be a prob if owners in the other offices object

regards

20. hbroomhall

That is why I said to get the wayleave from the building *owners*. With that the occupiers of the other offices have no say in what you do. (Within reason.)

Harry.