Connecting Cisco 2600

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by sium456, Dec 29, 2011.

1. sium456

sium456 New Member

Hi Everyone

Long time lurker first time poster here, has been a while since I'vwe been here, used the site to help me through my A+.

I currently work as field engineer servicing laptops, desktops and printers for a well known brand, however work has been getting slow for our company and I've decided to revisit the world of Cisco.
    Many moons ago now well say about 12 months I invested in some self studying material for the Icdn 1 + 2 as well as buying myself a mini home lab which comprises of
    2x Cisco 2600 routers
    1x Cisco 2522 frame relay switch
    1x 24 port Cisco switch
    I also have a HP Proliant rack server here lol.
    In my previos studies I managed to set up both the switch and routers using terraterm and things were going well but I always had a sticking point, I don't know how to connect my internet to my routers, by which I mean I know I have a serial interface with a 40-pin connector but I don't know how to connect my household internet(ethernet output) to that particular interface. I've been to the main computer outlets and tried to buy whatever I need beit an adapter, special cable etc etc but no-one seems to know much about Cisco at Maplins or PC World.
    I'd really like to fire up my machines and get them working between each other and any assistance here would be greatly appreciated.
    Hope some-one here can put me right

Best rgds,

Sium

2. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Just connect the ethernet ports, set the 2600 on the same network as your home router and advertise the default gate as yo r home router. However there is no real need to connect you lab kit to the interent, the study material is aimed at getting differnet networks communicating.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  3. sium456

sium456 New Member

Thank you for your reply.

Now I can move forward again, feel slightly silly though for not just trying that, was assuming those ports were just for ouptuts :unsure