Connecting a wired cable modem/router to wireless router?

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by zr79, Dec 7, 2009.

1. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

I did this for someone today and i plugged a cat5 from the modem/routers wan port to the wireless routers wan port. I then connected a cat5 from a lan port on the wireless router to the pcs lan port(which gave the pc internet) and i was also able to connect a laptop to the router wirelessly and hence online.

Now i didn't think this would work but it did i was trying a few things, this was after resetting both the modem/router and the wireless router. I didn't change any config on either the modem or wifi router.

This meant that obvioulsy the modem and wireless router had different default ips as if they didn't they would conflict, and also the wifi router must have been set as an access point. I thought at least i would have to disable the dhcp on the wifi router. Maybe it was already.

I didn't think you should connect wan port to wan port like this so again was quite surprised that it worked, can anyone enlighten me as to the usual way to do this?

Could i just have connected a cat5 form the modem wan to a lan on the wifi router and get wireless that way?

Certifications: A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Eh? if you connected WAN to WAN what was actually plugged into the wall to get a connection to the tinterweb? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

You are right, my mistake, it must have been lan on the modem to wan on the wifi router, but shouldn't i have just gone lan on modem to lan on wifi,basically using the wifi as a switch and ideally a wireless access point.

POint i am making is that i connect the modem to the wifi's wan port, i thought this would require routing, ie, static or dyanmic but it all seemed to work fine.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Its just the next logical hop for the WAN port.

For example when Im configuring a firewall from scratch I`ll patch the WAN port into the office networks LAN (just like a PC). The traffic then routes out through the corporate firewall...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

But if both modem/router and wifi router have say a default ip of 192.168.1.1 then you would have to change one of these ip 192.168.1.2 ex, you would therefore have to also set the default gateway and dns on the router with the changed ip?

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

You dont mention what models you are referring to here, although i suspect one of them picked an address off the other when reset via dhcp.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Can you not get into the menu of the wireless device and see how it's configured for DHCP etc. It might not be a problem now but it could cause issues someway down the track?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)