Connecting 2 servers in VM Ware

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by doppers, Sep 1, 2008.

1. doppers

doppers Bit Poster

Hi

I have just got started using VM Ware and am i am currently working through the MCSE 70-290 book which requires you to have the 2 servers connected in the Contoso.com domain. I have set up the first server as the domain controller, how do i get the second server to join the domain.

Sorrry if this question has been asked before.

Thanks

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Under system > properties, join it as a member server to the domain.. then once that's sorted, you can upgrade to a domain controller by running DCPROMO.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just to add some more info. You will need to give the server a static IP address in your LAN subnet and make sure the DNS IP is the IP address of the original domain controller, this is because the server needs to be able to resolve contoso.com. Also give the server suitable name before adding it to the domain.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. doppers

doppers Bit Poster

ok, i'm not sure if i have explained this properly. I know how to join PCs to a domain i'm just not sure in VM Ware. As i don't think the 2 Virtual Servers are communicating

5. Sparky

Can they both browse the internet and can they ping each other by IP address?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. doppers

doppers Bit Poster

they can both browse internet but cannot ping each other

7. Sparky

Im no VMWare guru but Im sure someone will be along to help soon.

And on that note, Im out 8)

Yes I have been watching dragons den!

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Ok when you create the machines in vmware you have a choice of options since you starting out make sure you have selected Bridged if you havent then power down the guest OS and choose that option by double clicking the Ethernet configuration you see for that guest and choose Bridged. Now when you power up the machines just give them IP's within the same subnet so for S1: 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 and S2 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0 leave the default gateway and then try pinging when both machines are of course powered on! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. Sparky

No default gateway? Get outta here! :biggrin

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

he has net so why change it? :rolleyes:

11. Sparky

Just thought if you take out the default gateway then there might be no 'net access after that.

Ive never used VMWare so Im just guessing :oops:

12. doppers

doppers Bit Poster

zimbo thanks for the reply but no joy.

Isn't there any documents out there on anyway just to get these 2 machines on the same network .

Has no-one else gone through the exercise on 70-290 using VM Ware

Sorry for the blunt questions its just VM ware looks like an excellent tool but just frustrating.......

I'm rambling now....its late!:D

13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

no i meant leave the default gateway - besides there is no need for it right now is there?

14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yes i did my whole MCSA using VMWare and what i did worked! 8) look in Lab Partners in this forum i went through it long ago! It works if you follow what i have done 8)

ps sparky i think you need to install a vm guest soon mate!! :)

15. Sparky

Its on the to do list :biggrin

16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

You will need to edit each virtual machines settings (in vmware). Go to the ethernet choice and make sure that both machines are on the same virtual network. For the sake of the exercises (and learning a little about vmware) choose the custom selection and then one of the available networks, eg vmnet4.

Do this for both machines.

Then when each machine is started edit the network connection properties (in the virtual server itself) so that both machines have the same static gateway and subnet addresses and a different ip address.

For example
    VMware ethernet vmnet4
    machine 1
    IP 192.168.1.5
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.1

VMware ethernet vmnet4
    machine 2
    IP 192.168.1.10
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.1

Then it shouldn't be a problem.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  17. doppers

doppers Bit Poster

Again thanks.

Now i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong here but i followed your instructions but i cannot join the the domain from the second server neither can i ping that server. Do the Virtual Servers need to be in a team or just 2 seperate servers.

18. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

do two seperate servers - it sounds like to me you having a problem with VMWare maybe you need to start both servers from scratch. 8)

19. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Are you using Vista or XP as your OS on your actual machine.

When I was running XP I had no issue at all with VM Ware, soon as I upgraded to Vista, I had issue galore.

Due to this, I have moved to MS Virtual PC, which has been great, no issues at all. The only downside it does not support USB but, I can live with that.

I'm also studying for the 70-290, and have been threw the book and watched half of the nuggets. Not sure where it says you need two servers?

You do need to have different Server functions, but they can be run on the same machine. Not always completely ideal, but for a home lab it has worked for me.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Also you do not want any software firewalls running on domain controllers, they will block too many needed ports.

In fact in a test lab disable them all.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)