confusing montherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adrian, Jun 6, 2010.

1. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

Im looking at this motherboard http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3010#sp

The spec says it has 8 sata connectors

but when i look at the photo I can only see 2 sata connectors (purple ones)- I can see 3 blue things under a sata2 word, bottom left of the board but they dont look right, are those blue things some kind of cover? if so they dont look bit enough to be 6.

Also, what is the significance of 2 of the connectors being controlled by a GIGABYTE SATA2 chip rather than the southbridge like the other 6 - are those 2 extra fast thanks to the dedicated chip or something?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
    Certifications: A+ N+
  2. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

The light blue connectors at the bottom of the board are SATA connectors mounted at right angles (six in total). This is done to assist with cable management and increase the number of connectors the board can support (doesn't physically take up any extra room on the board).

Both the purple and blue sata connectors run at the same speed (3Gb/s) but the blue connectors support SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID5, RAID 10 and JBOD and the purple connectors only support SATA RAID 0, RAID 1 and JBOD.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  3. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

aaa ic cheers :D

Certifications: A+ N+