Confused???

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by jld2007, Apr 7, 2010.

1. jld2007

jld2007 Bit Poster

Hi

Having been at my current employer for 10 years, my initial role has moved from IT support to Office Manager( who is still responsible for all the IT Support!) I do have a broad IT skill set which 15 years ago was well liked, however, it seems most employers want employees with specific software skills in Microsoft Server/AD/Exchange etc... and my knowledge of these is quite poor.

I have studied for CCNA 2years ago and not sat the exam, installed SBS 2003 and configured Exchange 2003 for company email but for 15 users is hardly getting me much experience in this field.

I am desperate to get out of my company but my dilema is what would be the best exams to study for/take in the shortest amount of time, but also be beneficial for my future career. ( I will be happy if it takes 12 months as long as I am heading in the right direction).

Thanks, Jason

WIP: MCSE?
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

A+, N+, MCDST.

Although you have experience working with servers you may fine your best option is to look for desktop/1st line jobs somewhere, take the short term hit and get yourself exposure to the server side asap in your new (larger) company. From there you'll be able to demonstrate the knowledge you've already gained and move up.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

i'm not expert but I would kinda guess perhaps do a MS MCTS in something you're interested in/have exp in doing then perhaps upgrade it to a MCITP.

I did the CCNA a while back (2004) and it's harder now (just passed the icnd2 an hour or so ago actually), I would recommend the 2 part route as it's more easily manageable.

4. jld2007

jld2007 Bit Poster

thanks for everyones advice....I think going back to basics may be the starting point.
    Cheers.

WIP: MCSE?
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck with your studies and future prospects :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security