Confused

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by swead, Feb 3, 2007.

1. swead

swead New Member

I would like to re-train into IT.

I have no qualifications relating to IT.

I have spoken to nitlc and think their Technical and Systems Engineer course looks interesting, however, after reading a number of posts on here I'm not so sure if it is the right start.

I recently completed a two year distance learning diploma with my current job, so I know I am capable of distance learning, self discipline and finding motivation out of nowhere.

But is this the right place to start - the price puts me off straight away but I always believe you get what you pay for.

Is there any other options I should be looking at? I'm not really sure where to look.

THanks for any help and advice

S.:newbie

Certifications: None
    WIP: None
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

You could always go the self study route and save stacks of money.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

What kind of IT experience do you currently have? And what area would you like to get into? If you have no IT experience, then i would say that you should do the A+ exams, to give you an idea of what your letting yourself in for :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  4. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

As has already been said self study is the way forward.
    I not knowing any better at the time enrolled with a distance learning company and boy oh boy what a mistaka to a maka:(

Save your hard earned cash and go the self study root.As everyone advises around here, for a newbie starting out on the IT certification root the Comptia A+ is the perfect place to start your IT foundations.

Grab yourself a book or 2 an old pc on which to grab some hands on and away you go.

Take a good look around the relevent forums, i'm sure will will find all the information that you are looking for.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  5. Raffaz

6. swead

swead New Member

Thankyou for all the responses.

The self study route scares me as I have no experience of computers other than at a user level.

I don't know what I want to do but then don't really know what's on offer. I've spent 16 years working with people and have decided that computers are definitely better for me! It always frustrates me that I can't solve my own IT issues at work, so I suppose that sort of area would be somewhere to start.

The A+ does sound like the course for me, but would I need all of the other courses provided for in the nitlc course (MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, MCITP, Project+) or should I just take the ones I need.

Thanks again for your help, I really didn't know where to start.

S

7. Raffaz

It all depends on what area of IT you want to be in, as to what route you should take. But the A+ will keep you going until you decide on the path you wish to follow.

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for the self-study route. Get an old computer you can break and fix, and get the Mike Meyers All-in-one A+ Certification Exam Guide, Sixth Edition.

You most certainly do NOT need the MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, MCITP, and Project+ at this stage in your career. I'd suggest getting those certifications AFTER you've gained a bit of experience. Get your A+, get an entry-level job as a PC tech, and work your way up from there, continuing to build experience and getting new certifications to help you advance in your career.

Best of luck to you!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. swead

swead New Member

Thankyou, this information has been very helpful.

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Um, then what makes you think that you are cut out for IT then?

Seriously, if you want to succed in your chosen career, you should have obvious attributes that set you apart from the crowd. Most people that want to get into IT, have had a passion for computers for a long time, they have been involved with upgrading them, networking them and have a talent for troubleshooting them. People in this category do not mind the hard work it takes to attain the qualifications that underpin their knowledge - because they enjoy 'the challenge'.

IT is most definitely not for everybody, it is a profession which is extremely difficult to learn and to succeed. To get promoted into a position where you are earing good money you have to be experienced, preferably certified and damn good at what you do. Way too many IT wannabees fall by the wayside after coughing up huge amounts of money to training providers, only to find that the subject matter is way more complex than they ever imagined.

Just one of those qualifications you posted took me 3 full years to attain and that was after seven years as a network admin in a corporate environment.

Sorry if it sounds like I am putting a downer on your aspirations but all I am doing is trying to keep it real.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Swead,

This is a sales tactic; you know, one item for £1.50 or three for £4.
    Great if you will benefit?
    I am a newbie and the thought of MCSA, MCSE, CCNA MCITP, Project+ is just not in my scope at this moment in time and therefore not value for my money.

Good luck

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Hi there
    Im not gonna say you should go one way or the other aas it does depend on the individual.
    What i will say is think very very carefully before paying any dosh to a learning provider.

You will get advice from the "salespersons" like, "hey cant afford it? thats fine, just take a cdl, you will get it no probkem and if not, we will find another way"..............and also, "hey we will train you within 2 years and you will get a job no problem, and if you feel you need more time.....thats fine too"

I went with cantuteach:p
    but enough about that bit

The reason why i personnaly would not encourage someone to take the leraning provider route is this.
    I had so much stress, and doubted myself on so many basic computing things, it was unbelievable. I went from being confident of my skills, to just sheer utter crap, through failing their "modules" and then stressing at not reaching my target dates intime. I fet the questions were "designed" to make me fail at least once on each modules, and was generally unhappy on everything.

I done the course for about a year and you know what? i never saw one bit of a+ material, despite the fact i was studying a+ leading onto MCSE:eek:

That was a year and half ago. Ive since taken self study and you know what, i feel fine in terms of workload, my current knowledge and my future aims.

I have no doubt that the course provider would of eventually got me mcse trained. But i very much doubt if i would of been a good technician, because i felt the coursework was not geared that way and i certainly would of been in more debt.............only my opinion

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  13. swead

swead New Member

Blimey, just when I thought I'd nearly made decision.

Thanks for all this advice, I think I might start on the basics myself and see how I get on.

S

14. s0methingwkd

s0methingwkd Bit Poster

I dont know if you guys have found it easy getting a job based on an A+ alone but from persoanl experience I know its not easy. These days when it comes to employers you can just go in there with one skill let alone one certification... You need to be the human equivalent of a swiss army knife... but stay focussed... a swiss army knife is a survival tool it doesnt carry a makeup kit.

My point is this if you want to go down the IT support route then there is no harm you doing certs fi you want and have the time. But focus on the support certs - like A+, N+, MCSA ( which you could use the A+ and N+ as electives for that way saving you some money) MCDST.

Thats what you need to get down First line these days.

If anyone has a company that is ready to take on A+ certed people please do let me know = I have lost of disillusioned friends.

Thats my opinion - worked for me.

15. swead

swead New Member

Well, I've bought myself Mike Meyers sixth edition and :eek: :cry: :blink

I've read on this site that its best to read it though first taking notes and then tackle it for real. I've got myself an old computer to play with so that's no problem.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks for all your advice on this matter, I still haven't ruled out a training company but I'll see how I go on my own first.

S.

16. Raffaz

I would just concentrate on the book for now, and get loads of hands on with the computer, practice taking it to bits and rebuilding it etc. Then later on, maybe consider getting some test software like transcender.

17. swead

swead New Member

Thankyou, you can't run before you can walk can you - that's always been my problem.

S

18. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Here's my two penneth worth.
    STAY AWAY FROM PROVIDERS.

They are there simply to make money, and in my experience the support they give you once you've signed on the dotted line is useless.
    I understand that the thought of going it alone is scary, but you are forgetting that as long as you can access some forums, you are not actualy alone!!!
    My training providers answers to my questions are so bad that i now use the forums exclusively. The quality of the help on forums such as this is EXCEPTIONAL. You will never get the same calibre of knowledge from support tutors (Thats a promise), and its FREE!!

So not only is the self study option much, much cheaper, it is also a more thourough approach.
    It is upto you to decide, but buying the books and seeing how you get on is a cheaper mistake to make (if you feel it isnt working), than spending thousands on a course and finding that they are offering inferior support, and then having to turn to forums anyway.

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  19. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

The way I got into the A+ was as previously mentioned in above posts.I bought the all in one guide ,made a load of notes and then enrolled at a local college to take the part time course.As for cost, it was only £140 , well short of what any training company charges,and they throw in a free book(the one I had previously bought).
    This way you are around like minded people in the same sort of situation and also you have a tutor to fire your questions at.Other people in the class are also posssible sources for job vacancies.
    Hope this helps.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!