confused?!?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jaffa cake king, Apr 18, 2006.

1. jaffa cake king

jaffa cake king New Member

Hi everyone.

To cut a long story short i was just about to pick up the phone and commit myself to an MCSE course with Computeach when i wandered into this website. Now i have great reservations.

I've noticed that quite a few people are recommending the best way to go would be to teach yourself in your spare time.
    The only problem with that is my only IT experience is from using my pc on a daily basis to surf the net and tinker with various music recording software. Whilst teaching myself does seem quite appealing i'm at a loss as to where to start and what areas i would need to study in as i would like to work towards a microsoft certified qualification.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction beacause at the moment i'm just spinning around on my chair :(

Cheers!

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I suggest that you take a look further around this forum and our Job's and Employment forum and look into the posts and comments that have already been made.

The A+ is usually the recommended starting point, I'd check out posts in that forum too! 8)

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Jaffa,

There are for and against self study versus training provider. What i would suggest is to get yourself an A+ book such as Mike Myers
    All in one and see if it is what you want to do. If you like the A+ then you might feel you need the training providers expertise and faciliites to gain MCSE, which will require lots of study, practice and help.

Good luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hey Jaffa,

Firstly, well done for researching on the net before committing to CompuTeach..

That for me in itself is the key point to your question...

The willingness/ability to research something in my mind makes you more than eligible for self-study...

I would agree with others that it depends where you want to go/experience as to what qualification you go for..

An MCSE is really aimed at someone with a bit of prior experience to PC's/Server's/Network's...

My suggestion... think about what you want to do (An MCSE unfortunately is the buzzword and it really devalues the work people have to do to obtain it + it is not the automatic employment in whatever IT field I fancy qualification! - Which is a good thing) find a qualification.. get a self-study book, get an old PC or 2 off of ebay or work etc... and practice practice practice!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  5. jaffa cake king

jaffa cake king New Member

Thanks for all the info i'm finding this really useful. I think i'm going to get a few books on the subject first see if i like it.

6. krizzy

krizzy New Member

Hi Jaffa,

I'm Krizzy from the Philippines. If I were you, I'll start with MCDST certification first because aside from the fact that it is the easiest certification to earn, I'm sure it would really help if you start with the basics. You don't have to worry about your MCSE track since the courses I think will still be credited. For more info, you can visit the microsoft website.

Good luck!

Krisitne

7. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Krizzy, on what can you base this information? It may be an entry level cert, but do you have any facts to say thet it is easiest, or even easier than say the CompTIA A+? :blink

8. GW

GW Byte Poster

Personally I would suggest going with the A+ certifications first since this will give you a good grounding in both computer hardware and operating systems and then move into the Microsoft MCDST which will help you get your foot in the door for a entry-level Desktop Support or Helpdesk position.

From there you could move into the MCSA certifications and then the MCSE certs. At some point, like after the MCDST certs and before the MCSA I would go ahead and get the CompTia Network+ certifications for a good grounding in networks and which can be combined with the A+ to act as your elective for the MCSA certification.

The MCDST is not that difficult of an exam, it is tricky but you really need to know quite a bit about XP, personally I would suggest getting the Windows XP certification 70-270 before jumping on the MCDST track since this will just make it easier to get through.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA