confused with MCSA certifications

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by RG, Nov 3, 2009.

1. RG

RG New Member

Hi,

I am currently studying 70-270 XP and i am going to go on to 70-290, 70-291 and then an elective after to eventually become MCSA.

I wanted to know a few things:

(1) Can i take 3 of the 4 MCSA exams, and take another, lets say 1 year later
    (2) What proof do you get that you passed certain exams. Do you get an individual certificate for each exam?

Any help would be much appreciated as I am slightly confused right now

Thanks.

R :)

Certifications: 70-270
    WIP: MCSA/MCSE
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes normally you can, baring any retirement rules that may indicate the opposite.

You get an electronic transcript that shows your cert progess, essentially a web site with a page. You only get paper certificates for certifications, not exams and then only if you order and pay extra for them.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  3. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

1. Yep you can take as much time as you'd like, although obviously before the exam retires (check MS website to find out info).
    2. You used to get a certificate and wallet card and other stuff once you obtained a certification (like MCP, MCDST, MCSA) but now you're encouraged to use your MS transcript which is a page on the MS site requiring credentials (which you set) which validates your quals. You could however purchase the certificate from the MCP site.

Hope this helped!

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Clarification: you can't get certificates for each exam - you can only get certificates for each certification (each of which require from one to several exams). The only proof you have that you passed an exam is the score report you receive after the exam and the electronic documentation that Microsoft and Prometric possess online. Which, in my experience, is more than sufficient.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Clarification on clarification: you can't get certificates for each exam - you can only get certificates for each NEW certification (each of which require from one to several exams, excluding MCP). The only proof you have that you passed an exam is the score report you receive after the exam and the electronic documentation that Microsoft and Prometric possess online. Which, in my experience, is more than sufficient.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  6. BosonMichael

Considering you can't get certifications twice, no clarification is required. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

I am sure I recall the 70-270, 290, 291, 271, 272 to be exams which would gain you the MCP certification once you pass either of them.
    I am also sure passing two of those exams would give you 2x MCP certifications.

8. BosonMichael

Nope, it's never been that way, and I've been in it going on 12 years, mate. You can earn the MCP certification only once.