Confirmation from Cisco: Use of the Cisco IOS in Dynamips is against Cisco licensing

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by BosonMichael, Nov 5, 2007.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I have received confirmation from Cisco regarding Dynamips: the IOS is not legal to use outside of Cisco's hardware chassis.

Contents of e-mail:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

This should get locked so it can be shown to any breakers of the rule.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael

No, don't lock it... but a sticky'd be great.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  4. Tieken

Tieken Bit Poster

The licensing policy of Cisco is quite weird, to say the least, given that even if you buy a used switch (Catalyst 4500, for example) along with the IOS that was legally purchased by the former owner, you still have to buy a special license for using the IOS.

Just fancy buying a second-hand laptop with Windows installed and having to pay for the operating system again.

But anyway, whether guys break the license agreement or not, the only side that really suffers from it is the companies offering racks to rent. Paradox, but - c'est la vie :)

5. Jada

Jada Bit Poster

BosonMichael, thanks for pointing this out, howeve I cant help but feel you have a hidden agenda. This is good news for Boson simulators...

WIP: A+, N+
  6. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Believe me, it would be beneficial to us if we could use Dynamips in our NetSim product. As it is, we have to create our own simulation of the IOS. If we could use Dynamips, we wouldn't have to code a simulation of the IOS; we could just use the actual IOS. At any rate, hidden agenda or not, if it's illegal, it's illegal, regardless of who posted the information.

Furthermore, a significant part of our selling point for NetSim is the included labs that walk you through router and switch configuration steps. This is something you can't get from using a product like Dynamips/GNS.

7. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Thanks BM,

I did asked a similar question a few days ago, so it is good to have confirmation!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Jada,
    I get your point but at the end of the day Boson can only offer simulators. Which is really there version of how a Cisco IOS will work and respond.

If anything it helps Cisco sell more equipment for education purposes, or rack rental companies. That's how I see it anyways...

9. BosonMichael

...and labs. 8)

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

As i too have seen this contested on a number of occasions, and as it's a matter of legality, i have pinned the thread as requested.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)