Configuration issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrNice, Oct 30, 2005.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Aloha,

Finally got this new pc operational...well of sorts!

I used my own thermal compound and this seems to have cured the CPU heat issue.
    The system is running a DVD-ROM, DVD-RW and 300GB SATA HDD. Anyone recommend the optimum set up for this on which IDE channels etc? A+ is a little rusty to say the least!
    I am using the onboard sound (MSI 945P platinum) and it sounds a little tinny, any suggestions?
    Also when I play a DVD there is no audio although if I bung in an ordinary CD it plays fine, any suggestions on this?
    I will get there in the end on this one but if anyone can offer advice it would be most gratefully received.

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Serial ATA drive should run on it's own channel. (Me thinks)

Connect the DVD drive to one of the IDE controllers and the CD to the other.

Try plugging external speakers into the system to see if it improves the sound output quality.

8)

3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nice set up MrNice I am jealous :(

Don't know much about SATA yet unfortunately.

Have you connected the digital sound output from the DVD player to your sound card?

Definitely buy some decent external powered speakers. I listen to music all the time on my Altec Lancing speakers, and they sound pretty damn good IMHO. I am a bit of a Hifi snob but I have switched from my CD player > Quad 33 > KEF setup to my laptop and it is impressive. The speakers only cost about $100 and they produce a sound far bigger than their size would have you believe. Of course you need the speakers with a sub woofer in order to get some semblance of true bass. The lappy without these speakers, sounds totally Micky Mouse.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)