Comtia A+ starting over - career change

Discussion in 'A+' started by Spawnsy, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Spawnsy

Spawnsy New Member

Hi all,

So I'm changing careers and going down the self study route (based on all the comments about training providers and the cost). Forgive me if any of what I ask is elsewhere in the forums, I'll have a good dig at them later when I get home. If you like, just point me in the right direction or tell me "dur, L2read". Basically I want to do CompTia A+ first, to refresh me and get on the ladder of Certs. If I study at home and just take exams, where can I do them (London) and roughly how much does it cost. Also which books are good to go at (honestly I do have quite a few PDFs of books I have "acquired", but not sure how current they are in terms of sylabus).

I really appreciate any help with this, I want to make a good start at changing careers and moving onto something I'm interested in.

Thanks guys and gals.

Spawnsy
    :twisted:

- - - Updated - - -

Whoah, there is a lot of info in the sticky about books, so please ignore my question about them. I'll have a look for the Mike Meyers one.

2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Found on another site:

Comptia A+ Exam cost:
    £114 +VAT (each). 2 Exams required.

3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Its not a cheap certification to obtain, but it does provide a solid foundation.

Regarding test centres, there are quite a few around London. I use to go to one just down the road from me but I've heard it has since closed, so I'll be hunting for another one in the next couple of weeks. Have a look on the Prometric and/or Pearson Vue site, they list all the centres available and show calenders of available dates and times. 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Spawnsy

Spawnsy New Member

Thanks, that's good info, which site did you use or is linking against forum rules?

for nXPLOSi: I'll take a look at them, I did a stint for Pearson Vue when I was a student in Manchester, they have their fingers in every testing pie.

5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Not sure what site Ade got the info from, but its also on the CompTIA site. 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. hus88am

hus88am New Member

I am also changing my career and I am also self-studying for the exam/s .

I managed to get .pdf copies for many good books (All in one (Mike Meyers) , Sybex (deluxe study guide) , Microsoft (exam kit) & Exam Cram ) .
    I also have a copy of CBT nuggets video course..... adding the prof.messor videos and a couple of reference books (like Sybex review book and Mike Meyres book about managing and troubleshooting the Hardware) ...... as you can see ,I ended up with too many resources .

I wasn't sure were to start but the good reviews from those who used Mike Meyers (previous and current) "All in one CompTIA A+ Certification guide" convinced me to start with it , I can't make a complete review as I haven't finish yet .......but so far so good , I followed Mike's advice to start with reading his book as a "novel" and then to "study" it ...the book is great it wasn't design based on the 801-802 objectives list (unlike the Microsoft book for example), so the writer really takes you slowly and smoothly from on topic to another .

In each Chapter he starts with (Historical/Conceptual) section , I think that's what makes the difference between his book and the other ones .....he just like others give you the Information you need to pass but with this section he makes sure you understand when&why .....then a section talking about the 801 exam objectives, then the 802 objectives , and finally he ends the chapter with a "beyond A+" section making sure you are up to date and knows all the info you need even if Comptia doesn't ask about it ( this section like the first one helps you understanding the Info you really need for the exam).

anyway I am not sure I'll study this book or use the Microsoft (Exam Kit) -because it separates the 801 from the 802 chapters -..... but I am sure reading "All in one" was the right first step to take ,the book is around 2000 pages but it's really just 1,600 the other pages are just two different very long indexes (one based on pages and the other on exam/s objectives ), I am sure am gonna use the videos (both CBT nuggets & prof.messer ) because they are not really that long .

good luck .

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013