computer gender?

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by robbo1962, Jul 7, 2007.

1. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

Are Computers Men or Women?
    A language teacher was explaining to her class that in French, nouns unlike their English counterparts, are grammatically designated as masculine or feminine.
    "House" in French, is feminine -"la maison," "Pencil" in French, is masculine "le crayon."
    One puzzled student asked, "What gender is computer?" The teacher did not know, and the word was not in her French dictionary.
    So for fun she split the class into two groups appropriately enough, by gender and asked them to decide whether "computer" should be a masculine or a feminine noun.
    Both groups were required to give four reasons for their recommendation.
    The men's group decided that computer should definitely be of the feminine gender ("la computer"), because
    No one but their creator understands their internal logic
    The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else
    Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later review
    As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your wages on accessories for it.
    The women's group, however, concluded that computers should be masculine "le computer") because:
    In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on.
    They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves
    They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem
    As soon as you commit to one, you realise that if you had waited a little longer you could have gotten a better model.

Certifications: A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Funny :biggrin

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

rofl cant stop laughin! :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've heard this one before, but it always gets me.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

The French word for computer is ordinateur. That's why it was not in the dictionairy.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP