Computeach

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Frontier, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

I have read alot of bad press about them here and on other forums. I would just like to ask if anyone has actualley had any good experiences with them? or are they just a bunch of con artists. I have got an appointment with a selection executive at my home soon. Im unsure which training provider to go with at the present time, ive considered IT Learneasy but im checking out a few others to see what they offer as well. I want to go into programming and databases.

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

From what I've read here I don't think that many people have had any good experiences with them.

They seem very willing to take your money off you, but very restrictive if you cant meet their deadlines.

I wouldn't call them con artists, but would say that they seem to operate very much on a money first, problems later approach to business.

8)

3. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

Have you considered the self-study route? Do you come from some sort of IT background so that you have the aptitude to teach yourself? What programming language do you want to do? Do you want to be a programmer or a DBA?

Yesterday I spent hours on the internet researching about training providers etc cos I had an appointment with Computeach the next day and wanted to do my background research. In the end, I decided it wasn't worth all that money. Why pay all that when I can teach myself? Programming isn't rocket science, there are books and many resources on the internet, I'm sure I'll be okay at teaching myself. I ordered £70 worth of books from Amazon and I'm excited to get started.

Well, today the guy from Computeach came round. To be honest, he seemed very sincere and was very helpful. It all sounds great. Support from tutors, online chat rooms/discussion boards, they have a college in central England and you have to go there for lessons. The college sounds really good, you'll be given real world programming projects to do, so you can say you've gained experience at job interviews. If you failed your exams, they pay for the re-sits. They have a careers centre that will help you to look for work. It all sounds fantastic. If I hadn't decided to self-study, I would have been tempted to sign up. I'm still tempted to sign up cos it all sounds very professional. But I really don't want to splash out nearly £5000 on this, I can afford it but I just can't do it. £5000 is a big sum of money for a graduate like me who's still got a student loan to pay off. But in general, whatever training provider you'll use, you'll have to pay thousands. It is definitely a good investment for the sake of one's career but you gotta choose carefully.

Best of luck!!

By the way, I did notice the guy trying to talk me into the most expensive course, the MCSD for about £6000. I wanted to do vb.net, but he told me there isn't a MCAD or MCSD for VB.net. I told him I thought there was, but he insisted there wasn't and that Computeach don't do a MCAD in vb.net. But they do, they have it on their website! There's definitely a MCAD for vb.net, I've even ordered the books for this cert! But I didn't tell him all of that. Hmm, that's a bit dodgy.

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCAD in vb.net
  4. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I had a quick look at their website out of curiosity. I don't understand why they charge the amount of money they do for training I would never pay that kind of money for what I've heard the service they provide. I have found that the best course I have done by far apart from the course I'm doing now (CCNA) and the best value for money has to be the Open University.

For anyone unsure of what direction to take or wanting to go in a particular direction there are affordable (around £3-400 for a 9 monthish course) courses to cater for many fields. There are short term deadlines to meet for assigments during the course, no obligation to persue any particular longer term study route, the courses are self study from books/software, although there are tutorials you can attend, workshops, you join the OU community messageboards and you get access to the OU library.

I did my first course recently and really enjoying it. I'm going to do their foundation networking degree when I've got my CCNA under my belt as the degree and Cisco certs will compliment each other and I could probably study them both alongside each other.

If you want to get into programming and databases have a look at the OU route, you don't have to commit yourself to a degree program you can get a certificate or deploma and gain the knowledge to get into IT work and take some profession certs and it's quite affordable not to mention the quality of the courses is absolutely first class:

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?SM01

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Good advise Pete01.

You'd be suprised how many universities are now offering Forndation Degrees which cover the same materials as professional certs. The OU is just one of them. And as you say, they are first class value for money.

Many local colleges also offer these courses at a fraction of what 'Training Providers' do.

8)

6. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

Hi Sneezie,

I know a little programming in VB6 and have used html and Java in the past. I wouldnt say my knowledge and experience of programming is vast, I know the basics. I dont think self study would really be for me as sometimes I feel better knowing there is someone there to give a helping hand and that support and careers advice is always available. It does seem rather alot of money but the end of the day it could be worth it. You never know.

If the computeach saleman says vb.net mcad doesnt exist then he is lieing. Because when I was on the phone to IT Learneasy they told me that would be the first stage of their database and programming master course. £6000 for just MCSD sounds a bit of a rip off, as I know IT Learneasy offer not only this but MCDBA and intro to programming as well for over half the price. Something definately isnt right there. What are you getting for your extra 3 grands worth? Have you checked out the IT Learneasy website at all? Their courses seem very cheap compared to other providers, and from chatting to one of the course advisors they sound very genuine and supportive. The only snag is the fact they do not provide in centre practical lessons like computeach do, though they do provide you with all the tools and software required - eg, visual studio, sql server. I have been in 2 minds whether to join them or computeach

7. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

I forgot to mention, the Computeach man was offering me the MCSD in C#.net. He was trying really hard to sell it to me, saying C# is a more powerful language, more jobs. That is true though, have you considered C#? I just want to start of with VB.net cos that's what I enjoy.

That's a great idea about the OU, have you considered that? If you don't come from an IT background, it'll be a good and cheap start to get your foot in the door.

I had a look at the ITLearneasy website. Hmm, me being a software tester and have great attention to detail, their website doesn't impress me much... the images on the homepage doesn't even load up properly!! I shouldn't judge a company on it's website :p I've never heard of this company so I'm not sure about their quality of service. £3000 cheaper is a considerable amount! Maybe it's worth going with them and saving all that money?

Are you considering MCDBA and MCAD, both of them? Did ITLearneasy recommend that? If so, that's a bit of bad advice from them. From what I understand, being a programmer and being a DBA are two completely different things. I'm a software tester and work with programmers and DBAs all the time, they're interrelated of course, but their job fuction is different. As you know, a programmer does the coding, define the db schema, connects to databases to retrieve and store data, they don't need to know a significant amount about databases, just a good working knowledge. Whereas DBAs, they need to know the ins and out of the database, granting permission, data replication and management, back-up servers etc. It's two different job roles. From what I know, I might be completely wrong, it seems a bit unnecessary to study for both the MCDBA and MCAD. At the end of the day, what do you want to be? A programmer with good database knowledge or a DBA who manages and knows everything about databases?

Just a thought, maybe you can start off with self-study and see how that goes, if you find that it's really not for you then you can use a training provider. As for which one, you'll have to make the difficult decision. There are so many bad reviews for Computeach and ITlearneasy is a relatively unknown company. Tough choice :hhhmmm

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCAD in vb.net
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

There are plenty of positive responses around here too, but remember two things:

1.) It's easier to pick out the bad reviews

2.) The unhappy minority always make more noise than the happy majority. That is generally true in any walk of life.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

The tutor support is nonexistent, either there are non available or they dont cover your subject.
    They give you hell if you have to take a resit, the online website is a joke, no one ever on and you cant discuss your course incase you are sharing answers for the mock exams they send you with 90% pass marks and no feedback.

10. Donnylad

Donnylad Banned

Hi Mr Nice. Guess I've got to take exception to your quote.......

Admin Edit(J): Repeat content - removed

Certifications: A+ MCSA ITIL Prince2
    WIP: MSc in Management
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

And I take exception to the multiple posts of the same nature you have put across our Forums. Please make yourself familiar with our Rules & Guidelines before posting further.

Thanks

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. Gigs

Gigs New Member

Reading through the other comments I noticed that some of the you had been quoted MCAD VB.Net at £5000. I phoned them yesterday and was quoted £1695 + VAT for the MCAD VB.NET. Seems a big difference. I would like to hear any further comments on Computeach before I sign on the dotted line. :twisted: