Compupeople

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by FZ1, Aug 15, 2006.

1. FZ1

FZ1 New Member

So far this year Ive completed A+, and currently doing a self study course for Network+. Im just thinking ahead to my next certification, anyone used or had any dealings with http://www.compupeople.co.uk/ ?? Seem to do instructor lead courses at a reasonable price.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: Linux+
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

are you not happy with self-study? Doing an MCSE with this company could cost you thousands in the end and will you achieve what you want to achieve i.e. be a MCSE?

i say stick to self studying for your further certs... if i can manage im sure you will too!:biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I do feel the classroom has advantages. I did a few classroom courses pre A+ and found them very useful.
    However, i wouldn't rely on them for an entire module and definately not a certification as in-depth as MCSE. There will be things you have to go home and do for yourself, otherwise it would need to be like a boarding school opposed to a 9-5.
    I am a big fan of Video CD Rom based courses. I have just sampled the three <free> full length courses from trainsignal and found them very useful.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. FZ1

FZ1 New Member

Thx for the speedy replies guys. Im very happy to do home study, but I can see a big problem on the horizon :( That would entail me to be CCNA certified, and fast! A 5 day course seemed the best way to go if it happens.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: Linux+
  5. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

CBT Nuggets seem to be impressive as well...

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Unless you have a solid understanding of networking in general and Cisco equipment, i think it would be hard to get CCNA in five days.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i agree with that.... CCNA takes time and alot of time... practice,practice,practice,practice and more practice!

8. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I guess I have to ask why there is a problem with doing a CCNA at home, but not the other certifications you are working on and plan on doing?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

CCNA in 5 days?

Questionable :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Impossible in my opinion! :dry

11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I think it may be because of the CISCO gear required as they are meant to be expensive... thats the only reason i can think of, unless there is something else?

12. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

FZ1,

As a graduate of the Cisco Networking Academy Program Semester 4 that took an entire year to complete, I think that 5 days to learn all you need to for CCNA is highly unrealistic.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  13. TheWay

TheWay New Member

Not recommended, they may be cheaper than others but their feedbacks are awful. You don't get to speak with the instructor instead you have to liaise through his admin who then talks to him before she calls you back. That is if she calls you back. I have to leave dozens of messages before I get a reply (unnecessary hassle).

I find the teachings are not very clear and not very well structured. I did the CCNA course (one week) and feel that often you get rushed into the next stage without fully understand the first part, off course they give you material to take home to read however, if you don't live near M1 that may prove difficult especially when you have to leave the house the following day at 6.30am again in order to avoid traffic jam on Hanger Lane.

On exam day I was told that I'm not ready so had to wait but due to poor feedback and unclear communication I had to wait months before they finally set me a date. When I turned up that day no one called me and I ended up waiting for 2 hours before I finally called them only to be told that "the PCs kept on crashing so you may not sit your exam today". I got so fed up that I ask for the voucher to book my own exam. What I find hilarious is that they teach IT but their computers kept on crashing, :dry

14. stnxa04

stnxa04 New Member

Funnily enough, I did my ccna with them the other week. It's actually a six day course btw. It's pretty heavy going, long days. But if you put the effort in you'll get a result out of it. I'd say it's not the course to do if you have no networking experience as you will definitely need to know some tcp/ip and subnetting beforehand. But the instructor certainly knew his stuff and totally helped me master the theory part of the CCNA that I was struggling on. Overall I'd reccomend Compupeople as I had a very positive experience, and I got my CCNA. I guess some people just expect to sit there 9-5 and not put the effort in and get a ccna. It doesn't happen like that!
    Neil.