comptia v mcdst

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Notebook, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Notebook

Notebook Bit Poster

Hi all
    just a quick Q
    what does the mcdst cover
    looked at A+ and looking at old pc cards and out dated equipment doesnt do it for me.
    what does the mcdst look at?
    Thanks

2. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Purely MS

I'm basically going to tell you to google for the answer but feel its worth mentioning that as someone that has done the A+ it was a very valuable cert. Covered alot of stuff I would never have known.

Alot of this "outdated" kit is still in use including the outdated os's. It's not all server 08 and shiny new Dells in I.T. land

You want to be good at this so dont skip the basics

Good luck whatever your choice but most would advise A+ then MCDST or similar

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
    Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  3. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I have both and feel they are both good and worth having, but I think and from my experience if looking for a job in IT the MCDST will be looked at by employees better then A+.

But there is cross over and what you learn in one will help you with the other.

Certifications: A few.
  4. Notebook

Notebook Bit Poster

what are the current exams for xp and also vista?

thanks everyone

5. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

For XP, you're looking at two exams- take a look at the MS website. Generally, the 271 exam is more about the operating system itself, while the 272 is about supporting the applications on it.

As for Vista, there is one exam (70-620), located here.

6. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Don't forget 270 for XP as well... Not necessarily for the MCDST cert itself, but it's a third "XP" exam out there if you really wanna go all the way.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Are you looking at the 601/2/3/4 objectives or the new 701/2 objectives for the A+?
    As skulkerboyo says, businesses tend to upgrade slowly as well. One of the jobs of the IT department is to keep creaking old machines running until enough cash can be squeezed out of the accountants to get a new one.

I view the A+ as the cert you'd need if someone dumped a pile of computer parts on your desk and said "make it work". The MCDST doesn't cover that.
    The MCDST covers installing and configuring windows XP and it's more common applications (IE, outlook etc).

Personally, I don't see the point of being able to configure the OS to your users heart's desire if you can't figure out how to turn the bleedin' thing on.
    Therefore: A+ before MCDST.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What he said ^

In my worplace we have one Stand alone computer running windows 98, 2 systems with a multiple scsi setup, lots of cisco ****, 4 or 500 xp PCs some old dell servers running Windows 2000 and some crappy Macs with OSX

Tge MCDST only covers XP and Vista the A+ atleast introduces you to some of the above and their related hardware. The usually route is A+,N+ and MCDST and if you think the A+ is redundant or too easy for you then why not get it? more is better

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?