Comptia training

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by RebeccaUK, May 3, 2012.

1. RebeccaUK

RebeccaUK New Member

Hi there,

Ive recently been looking into training for the Comptia A+ and network. I found a company who were offering both these and a microsoft windows 7 cert and exam for under 1000 pounds. They have also said i can do the comptia A+ 2012 syllabus and network 2012 syllabus in stead of the 2009.

I really want to train with a company as i dont think i will be any good with self study but there something telling me not to go with them.
    Can anyone shed some light on the 2012 syllabus and recommend a company?? I dont want to waste money and a finish without certification!!

Please help :blink

2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Hi, Welcomes to the forums.

To be honest, with the A+ and N+ I think the main recommendation will always be to self study. Whilst it can be difficult there are a lot of resources out there and most companies who offer you the training generally send you the same type of materials, and offer a 'Tutor' to answer questions, but you could ask questions here and get answers and save yourself a massive wad of cash in the process.

Professor Messer is a good training resource for both A+ and N+, he has videos on his website and it's free to watch them and covers all of the usual stuff (Although it may not yet be updated to 2012 syllabus, but he is on Twitter so you could ask about when and if he will be updating these).

There are also CBT and Train Signal videos and loads of good books out there, you should realistically be able to self study for and pass each exam I would think though for about £200??? Give or take. I cant speak in regards to the Microsoft cert though as I have never looked at it, but I suspect it would be much the same.

The people on here are generally good people and always willing to help with any questions you might have, so personally I would say go self study.

Hope that helps a little.

J

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. RebeccaUK

RebeccaUK New Member

Thanks for that!...I wouldnt even know where to start with what books to get etc.

One good thing for me is even if i do go through a company, my work is funding the money! :biggrin

also what do you think about the 2012 syllabus? How do i know it is all legit?

I've heard its out in the next few months so should i just wait for that?

Thanks for your help

4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I believe the old exams will still be available for several months after the new syllabus comes in, so it's really up to you, it depends how long you think it might take you to complete it and what your current IT knowledge is like etc? The Comptia exams now need to be re-sat every few years to keep the certification so either way you will end up having to re-do a new syllabus eventually.

I think the Sybex books are generally seen as being reasonably good for the A+ and N+, but i'm sure others may have some alternative suggestions. As previously mentioned if you couple that with the videos such as from Professer Messer then you should have a reasonably good all round learning environment. Maybe check out a few of the vids first and see how you get on with them etc, as they are not for everyone.

5. RebeccaUK

RebeccaUK New Member

Thank you i'll have a look at his videos then and speak with my line manager on whats best!...Thank you for your help :)

6. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

No problem. I think you will find it much easier if you have a companies backing as well, as you are generally able to spend some time with the relevant areas to enforce your learning, so I would say you are in a good position.

Good luck, hope it all goes well. :)

7. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Hi & Welcome

Go buy yourself Mike Meyers A+ All In One book. That and Professor Messer videos should be all you need to pass the A+. Both these materials will come recommended here. I've used both these materials to pass my A+ & N+.

Get the book, have a read and see what you think. It's far better spending £20 on that and having a good understanding of what is required of you rather than spending £1000 on 3 different courses you may or may not want or feel ready for. Also, the book would be a great addition to any course if you decide on one.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Be very wary of training companies who 'bundle' courses and make it look like some kind of offer.
    If they were any good, they would expect their students to return and do other courses.

They know that they are either offering a poor service, or that a student will realise that A+ is all they really want or need.

Also be aware of companies offering the 'latest' courses.
    Again, most decent companies know what the industry is up to and what's in demand. They will also have tried and tested course material and instructors all of which takes time to develop. They don't just drop it all because a new shiney version comes out.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD