Comptia then job or hnc then comptia ?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Dood1227, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Dood1227

Dood1227 New Member

I'm currently on a level 3 it course with the option to fast track me to a level 4 hnc course ( 1st year of a undeegrad).

I have been doing research online and have found a few training course providers which can rpovide with me the a+ networking a cyber security ( comptia ).

My current dilemma / options are:

Option one:

Carry on with level 3 progress into the UNC then do my comptia crets ( costing £16,000) in total

Option two:

Join the online training cost which costs £3.6k and will get me:

Comptia a+
    Comptia networking+
    Comptia security+

Included with the course:
    • uCertify Online Learning Platform
    • Student Area
    • Career Support
    • Online Tutor Support
    • 12 Months Access.

So my question is what option would you go for and why ?

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Id go with option 3 -

• Finish your UNC because its already started and it proves you are a good egg.
    • At the same time nail some of the easier certs in your spare time like the A+, N+, Security+ via self study using books and professor messor, etc
    • If you were in a job you'd be pulling 50 hour weeks, so make sure you are doing the same while studying.
    With regard to option 2, no it doesn't get you any qualifications you have to pass and many people fail these schemes.
    Some online learning platforms suck pretty badly and there is almost no support. Some have restrictive deadlines (12 months). Online tutor support can also suck. So basically you pay £3.6k for not very much at all, better off with the free stuff and a pluralsight sub.
    https://www.pluralsight.com/blog/it-ops/learning-path-comptia-a-plus

The entire benefit of certifications is you can do them for low cost in your spare time, looking at crazy courses for £3K+ is totally missing the point.

If you read around the forums using the search feature you will find countless selfstudy and A+ advice.

I got all my comptia certs for total spend of £400, so £80 a cert.

Goodluck ! :thumbleft

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Pseudonym likes this.
  3. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Dmarsh said it all. Self study for your certs.

The amount of money being mentioned is absolutely eye watering.

4. Dood1227

Dood1227 New Member

Okay guys thank you for the help could you recommend any places where i could do the exm ?

5. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

As far as I'm aware any Pearson Vue testing centre do the Comptia exams.

6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Do not pay 3.6k for comptia training! It can be studied using free resources and a book costing £20