Comptia Question

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by timmer, Mar 23, 2010.

1. timmer

timmer Bit Poster

Hi Everyone, Just a question about the A+ Essentials for anyone who would be as kind as to help.

I am studying for it from the Mike Myers book. This study guide is solely for the Esssentials exam.

i have been doing practice exams from 3 different software programs, Exam Cram, Advent and Certblaster.

But all three of them seem to be giving me very different questions. Alot that don't seem to be covered in the Mike Myers book.

The problem is that i'm a bit concerned that I will be stepping into the exam unprepared even if I know the mike myers book cover to cover.

Has anyone else come across this or have any advice (except that if i learn all the areas then i will pass the exam)

Thanks

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Which exams are you working towards?

601 or 701?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if the practice exams all gave you the same questions then you would be unprepaired for the real exams.

Practice exams are suppossed to test your knowledge on what you are learning and have practiced not to give you the questions you will get so you can pass.

do not do the same exams all the time otherwise you will just remember the questions and answers and not learn why the answers are what they are.

The mike meyers book is the best. Do the exams that come with his book too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I was going to say the same as GBL, but it was late at night and my brain was in shutdown mode.

5. greenbrucelee

lol, mine is always in shutdown mode.:D

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Wait until you see me at 3am full on zombie mode, sometimes I post and don't remember posting :D

7. greenbrucelee

I dont sleep so I must be zombied all the time

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

No comment :twisted:

9. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

The idea with a practice exam is not to memorize the answers, but to understand the concepts being presented. It is illegal for practice test providers to use the same questions that come on the exam, so we create questions that cover the concepts that are covered on the exam, as laid out in the exam outline. As a result, going through a practice exam memorizing the questions and answers will almost certainly lead to a failing score when you take the live exam because you'll see different questions. However, if you understand the concepts presented in the practice exams, you'll be much better prepared for the live exam.

10. timmer

timmer Bit Poster

Thanks for your replies guys, sorry for my lateness.

I am studying for the 601 exams.

I understand about the practice exams, Each question that I dont understand (even if i know the answer), i make a note of and read up and learn it.

I just failed the Essentials exam, there was a question about fire extinguishers and alot of networking questions that were definitely not in the mike myers book.

I wanted to post a new topic about this anyway so you should see that pop up. Appreciate your help.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2010