Comptia Project+

Discussion in 'Project+' started by Kitkatninja, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just wondering, I'm considering this certification in the next few months and study material seems to be very thin on the ground.

There are two books:

IT Project Management: On Track from Start to Finish, 2nd edition. (Approved by Comptia) &
    Project+ Study Guide: Exam PK0-002

And as for practice exams, there's:

Transcender
    Measure-Up

Does anyone else have any other recommendations? Other resources? That would be great :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Do Prince2 instead ? Seems to be the one thats most requested in the UK.

3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

No further recommendations to add, though I do have the IT Project Management: On Track book, and it's well-written and pretty comprehensive given its size.

I must say I was quite surprised that the Project+ sits at level 4 of the NQF (equal to MCSE). CompTIA (IMO) is normally recommended for its entry-level neutral certs, and sure, entry level project management is still possibly going to be complex... but sitting it at level 4? What are your thoughts on that?

CompTIA also recommends a book called "Organisation through eyes of a Project Manager" (Prentice Hall)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Kitkatninja

Wow, have you seen the prices just for the exam?

Foundation: £190
    Practitioner: £350

In our area, I have seen job adverts stating the a "project management cert is required, for example Prince2". Will think about that one, as the adverts (in this area) only list Prince2 as an example and not the definitive cert, but then again I also have to think about the future... Is there a Prince3 in the making?

Thanks for the review of the book.

As for the certs they may be on the same NQF level, but they aren't equal to each other. Just take a look at the NVQ3 and A levels, both sit on the same NQF level (3), but the NVQ 3 is equal to 2 or more A levels (depending on the number and levels of the individual modules). The HNC & HND both sit on NQF 5, but the HND is higher than the HNC. These are just a few examples of certs/quals that are "more equal than others" :lol:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I've seen 5 day training courses for Prince2 for £800-£1000 including foundation and practitioner exams.

Thats pretty cheap for a professional course, working out at only £200 per day including exams.

Seems the easiest and cheapest way, not all certs are easy to take the self study route.

Jobserve UK has 800 Prince2 related jobs, zero Project+ related jobs, suggesting the ROI on a Prince2 course will be higher.

I doubt you'll learn that much on the course to be honest, but theres the rub with the whole certs vs education debate.

I think all these courses rely on company education bugets, they can write off the VAT and write down the education as an expense and offset tax.

As a personal expense the courses are far harder to justify.

6. Kitkatninja

I agree :)

Yeah that's true, if I do decide to go down the Prince2 route I may just do the foundation course. They are offering the foundation CBT & exam for £469 (inc VAT), it just whether or not work will pay for it :hhhmmm If they don't, I may go down the Project+ route (as it's cheaper) then look at Prince2 in the future, but we'll see. A Project management cert is going to be a 2009 goal.

-Ken

7. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Looks like a 2009 update is in progress called "PRINCE2: 2009 Project", I'm not sure what effect this will have.

Even a Project+ voucher is £170 + £30 for a book, hardly a bargain.

8. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hey Ken

I looked at PRINCE2 a while back as I would say it's quoted as desireable/essential in probably 90% of all the project management jobs (or those involving some project management) that I've looked at.

There is a company based near me called SPOCE (pronouced as "spoke") which has some good offers for self study cbt and I think this included the exam too. Looks like their website is down today but you can usually find it at www.spoce.co.uk - they were very helpful when I spoke to them about the various options available so may be worth checking out.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Do you not work at a college Ken? Can you not just do some sort of management diploma ?

10. Kitkatninja

What an original name :lol:

Know what you mean... Could get the Project+ voucher for £161 & an Used - Like New book for £21 from a seller on Amazon market place, so a total of £182. Considering that when you could buy international/UK vouchers from US sellers (I bought the Security+ practice exams for £50 and got a free Security+ voucher from Preplogic) it ain't a bargin :dry

-Ken

11. Kitkatninja

Thanks mate, will look into this :)

Only in the evenings and this year I'm actually taking a break from teaching, this year I really only want to work 1 job :)

I've actually been thinking about doing my MSc in IT Management in a few years time, a 2 year course part-time, but we'll have to see. I don't know if I want to go back to commit myself & about £5k-£6k, only time will tell.

Also thinking about the Licentiateship diploma in Management, we'll see...

-Ken

12. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Spoce site is back up Ken, PRINCE2 distance learning details here. Prices look pretty good.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)