CompTIA Network+ then CCNA?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by SgtEarlHickey, Feb 18, 2011.

1. SgtEarlHickey

SgtEarlHickey Bit Poster

Is taking CompTIA Network+ before CCNA a good choice for a beginner? I consider myself as a novice in networking though I worked for 3 years as a technical support representative in a telecommunication company but what we're doing was just basic home networking and troubleshooting. Please help me on this by giving your suggestions/answers and those will be highly appreciated.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Network+ is a good idea, but doing the CCNA without experience of working with cisco kit and equipment is not.

The CCNA is for people who work with cisco kit in their day job not for someone who wants to work with cisco kit. Having this without the experience can go against you.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

I did it in that order, but I work with cisco kit most days... I got the CCNA to enhnce what I was already doing. The N+ is good as an introduction to what networks are about

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  4. SgtEarlHickey

SgtEarlHickey Bit Poster

@greenbrucelee -- so i should really go for the CompTIA first, eh? Thank you very much!

5. SgtEarlHickey

SgtEarlHickey Bit Poster

@TheITCrowd -- You mean to say CompTIA will serve as a good foundation to understand more about networking? With all being said, I should really do it in that order...Thank you very much.

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yes the N+ should be done first and you should have experience before getting the CCNA. If you do a search on this forum you will find posts from people who got the CCNA without experience and then found no one would hire them. This is because its a high level cert and high level certs mean you have experience in that area.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. SgtEarlHickey

SgtEarlHickey Bit Poster

@GreenBruceLee -- that is very nice!well, you really got a point..Thanks a lot!

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for doing the Network+ before the CCNA... and for holding off on the CCNA until you're starting to (or about to) touch routers in a real-world IT environment.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!