CompTIA CEU credit for this site?

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by pkcarlisle, Jan 1, 2016.

1. pkcarlisle

pkcarlisle New Member

I just passed the Sec+ test yesterday, Looking at the CEU requirements, one of them lists participation on an IT related board, preferably one which tends toward my certification. Has anyone successfully used this board as a CEU?

shahlapirnia likes this.
  2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I'd be interested to know this also so I will bring @SimonV into this

3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've been out of the cert game for too long so you'll have to enlighten me on this.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. pkcarlisle

pkcarlisle New Member

Well, all right, then.

In the previous version (I downloaded and saved the PDF less than a week ago when I got my Security+ cert) CompTIA listed participation in IT boards and relevant professional society memberships as potential CEUs. Just checked today before providing you the link...and in the best George Orwell tradition, those categories of CEUs are gone from the current online PDF like they were never there.

Guess that answers my question.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  5. pkcarlisle

pkcarlisle New Member

The actual questions are not published online, and test takers sign an NDA that they won't share actual questions.

If you pay $300, CompTIA shows you that list. In a testing center. On the test. :D

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

CEUs are a complete scam, they want you to get them by paying $$$$ for a course, paying $$$$ for a certification, paying $$$$ for a conference.

They don't really want to give you free CEUs for being on a forum. If you are lucky you might get them for writing a blog, attending a webinar, writing a book or speaking at conferences.

https://certification.comptia.org/continuing-education/how-to-renew/earn-continuing-education-units
    https://certification.comptia.org/docs/default-source/downloadablefiles/comptia-continuing-education-activity-chart.pdf

If you only do webinars, blogs and work experience, you most likely will not get more than 30 CEU's for Security+, you need 50 to renew, they therefore guarantee you must spend $$$...

Sorry not playing the comptia scam/paperwork/bureaucracy game, lifes too short...

They made themselves irrelevant the minute they started this BS in my book.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  7. pkcarlisle

pkcarlisle New Member

I agree that it appears that Security+ could potentially be somewhat costly to retain. However...if (and only if) having this cert delivers as suggested that it might in terms of income increase, let's say an $80K salary, then paying 1-2% as a means of keeping an $80K income is a reasonable cost/kickback/cost of doing bidness.

If it does not translate into such a meaningful increase, that's another consideration altogether...

8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Surveys are commissioned with questions that are expressly designed to deliver 'getting certification X made me £20K extra pa !'
    Unsurprisingly these surveys are commissioned by cert vendors, I refused to give the required answers and was dropped from the response pool.

The whole certification X makes you Y times more has never been proven and should be viewed with extreme suspicion.
    Correlation does not imply causation.