CompTIA and Microsoft Certifications in relation to UCAS

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by gooner, Aug 30, 2013.

1. gooner

gooner New Member

Hi guys, I wanted to know how relevant or how useful these certifications are considering that bodies such as UCAS do not recognise them.

I have spent the past 3 years working for a media company where my responsibilities have mainly been in IT support and maintenance and also assisting in media related tasks.

I have just had a brief look at a Mike Meyers CompTIA book and I feel that I already know about most of the things it covers. Some parts in more detail than others. This knowledge has all been achieved from professional experience and from my own personal interests. So for someone like me who has a general knowledge of IT, how useful would this certification be to me if I wanted to leave the media industry and apply for an IT based role?

Will employers overlook this sort of qualification in favour of an individual who has studied a computer science degree or a UCAS recognised college course?

2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF! :thumbleft

Bodies such as UCAS are primarily academically driven. These certifications are from Technical bodies and, as such, are generally (to a greater or lesser extent, depending on the country and particular business) accepted and welcomed within the IT field.

Of course, there will be some fields (and businesses) within IT that will be interested in Further and Higher education, but you can be sure that time taken to study for these professional qualifications will not (just as in other fields) be wasted.

HTH.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

One thing that I would like to add is that UCAS stands for the 'Universities and Colleges Admissions Service' and that once you hit 21 a lot of universities will consider you a mature student and the entry requirements are slightly different, especially if you go part-time or distance learning :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security