CompTIA A+

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by medulaOblongata, Dec 26, 2012.

1. medulaOblongata

medulaOblongata New Member

Hi,

I want to self study this, my question is how do I go about this? Can I even do this, or do I have to go through a training provider?

Cheers,

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Hundreds of threads on self study and the A+, look around the forums.

3. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Definitely no training provider IMO! Waste of money! Self study all the way! Professor messer has a great video series, that along with a decent book should see you through no worries! :)

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  4. medulaOblongata

Thank you for your constructive comment :)

Is this book (CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, 8th Edition (Exams 220-801 & 220-802)) decent? If not, could you suggest one please?

Also, when I'm ready to take an exam what do I do? Do I just buy an exam voucher and book the date, time and venue?

5. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Medula,

As Coupe suggested, and I would back him up on this 100%, stay away from the training providers and look at Professor Messer video content for the compTIA A+ 220-801/2 series.

If you need a book to back it up then there are many out there and a lot of threads with this information amongst the A+ pages already on certforums that you can view for different suggestions / opinions.

Good luck with your studies.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  6. mackie

mackie Nibble Poster

Hi

I'm working on the A+ at the moment. I am using Mike Meyers All In One and find it quite readable. When I have finished it I intend the use Professor Messer and the book together to make sure I understand everything. Good luck.

Robert

Certifications: IAB, Sage 50, MOUS and MCP
    WIP: A+
  7. Sonicimage

Sonicimage Bit Poster

It's definitely a good thing to do self study when you are already working in IT!
    But what about someone, like me, who is not? I've decided to move into IT as I'm passionate about computers, hardware and software (I was studying audio engineering). I could study for A+ on my own, of course, but what next? I've recently visited Just IT company - they have Network Professional course with a few certs, with a job guarantee scheme, and 'pay as you earn' option, which is suitable for me. If I study on my own, I won't get a job if no experience (and age discrimination). If they promise to get me into work after exam completion, does it mean they just cheat?

Certifications: Bachelor of Art; City & Guilds Diploma in ICT Systems Level 2 & 3; MCTS: Active Directory; MCTS: Network Infrastructure; MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring; MCSA: Server 2008; CCENT; CCNA; MCSE: Server 2012
    WIP: MCSE: Server Infrastructure
  8. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

I think the consensus is that these job guarantee schemes aren't really worth the paper that they are written on. Just have a look in other threads.

You could do the A+, run a little fix your PC business in the local area, and then that would sort you out for experience too. As for age discrimination, I think IT is probably one of the most forgiving for coming into the game late. It's about skill and dedication.

9. Sonicimage

Sonicimage Bit Poster

Thanks a lot for your comment. You say these job guarantee schemes are not worth of the paper. Does it still mean it's a deception? Don't they really give a job after training? If they lie about job guarantee, then, of course, it's not worth. But if they fulfil they promise? That's what attracts me - that Job guarantee, I don't look at money spent on that, I just want (and need!) a job! Trying to get into the industry 'from the street', it's a very little chance, unless you have many useful industry connections already.

Certifications: Bachelor of Art; City & Guilds Diploma in ICT Systems Level 2 & 3; MCTS: Active Directory; MCTS: Network Infrastructure; MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring; MCSA: Server 2008; CCENT; CCNA; MCSE: Server 2012
  10. shadowwebs

Sonic, When the market is already being flooded with job applications, I just find it hard as to how a company can provide you a guarantee of a job at the end of the course.

I passed the A+ and I was already in a job so was in a fortunate position. A job that I had applied for had turned me down, but now I have the A+ I am starting with that company next week, I do feel that the A+ had something to do with it for my second application.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  11. Sonicimage

Sonicimage Bit Poster

Hi, Robert,

From your post I assume you work in IT industry, and are studying for A+. Could you give an advice, please, how to get into the industry if you are new to it (never worked in IT!), but very determined and passionate about computing stuff, hardware and software? I'm finishing part-time university course this summer (Music technology with business), but really want to go into IT, and study for A+ (and other certs) with 'Just IT', as they offer job guarantee scheme. But guys on the forum say it's not worth and only waste of money. I could do self-study and pass the exam, but who will employ me with no commercial experience?
    You are a mature member here, and I would really love to hear your opinion about this. Please, share what you think.
    Thanks.

12. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Sonicimage, listen to what you are being told, you ask advice but seem unwilling to accept it!

NO company will be able to guarantee you a job, but you should not need a company too anyway, if you do then you probably shouldn't be in IT anyway!

Take people's advice, do your A+ and maybe N+ self study and apply for entry level jobs, Service Desk and Helpdesk analyst roles etc! I got a job working on a Helpdesk with NO Certs at all, and I am now working as a Network support engineer, still with NO Certs. I've gone into interviews, shown that I have known my stuff and can deal with people and that was enough. So with the A+ and N+ you should,
    All be it maybe over a period of time be able to find your own employment,

You keep spamming threads going on about 'Just IT' and its starting to look suspiciously like you are affiliated to them!!!

13. medulaOblongata

OK so I am now set on doing the comptia a+ but I know what area of IT I want to go into, DBA. So should I still do the comptia a+ and then think about getting a database certification or should i scrap the comptia a+ and just look for a database certification?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  14. Sonicimage

Sonicimage Bit Poster

NO, by no means I'm not spamming anyone, and I'm not affiliated to Just IT at all! It's just because I have an interview arranged with them this coming Thursday, and I'm just worrying about signing the contract and paying so much money, so, I'm doing research and asking people here if it's worth. I'm also concerned if it's possible to find a job on my own, by just applying myself. This was the only reason why I'm asking and telling about this company. I can do self-studying very well as I did it many times - a good example is: I never attended any English classes, I'm a complete self-taught, but I can correct Brits' spelling mistakes (no offence to anyone - just saying).
    As I said - I was just worrying about finding an employment, as people normally find it using industry connections.
    Please, don't accuse me in vain while I'm innocent here, never spammed anyone! If you are sure it's possible to find a job without any company's help, then I'm quite capable to do self-study - I'm very experienced in teaching myself!
    I apologize if I seemed to be spamming people here or promoting Just IT company. It's been a wrong impression, but I'm a very honest person, and accept it when someone is correcting my mistakes.
    I've been asking for advice as I'm new to this industry, and wanted to know something that would help me to get into IT.

15. medulaOblongata

Sonic, have you had your interview with them yet? I wouldn't suggest going, waste of a journey. They will charge you a ridiculous amount of money (almost 5 grand when I had my interview last year) for a handful of certifications you can do on your own and not even spend a fraction of the price they charge. I remember they gave me a 'tour' of their offices where they'll train you. Also, there's no such thing as a job guarantee, its just something to draw you in.

16. Sonicimage

Sonicimage Bit Poster

So, did you finish that training you paid for last year? Was it with a job guarantee? Did they fulfil what was promised? Were you happy with the training?
    Sorry for so many questions, but I would like to know how other people get around all those things with training and certs. I want to learn from others' experience.

17. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

How many people need to tell you not to do it before you will listen!?! If you want to throw your money away then go right ahead, but you've been told time and time again it's not worth it, there is no such thing as a job guarantee and that you should not do it and yet still you persist in asking the question! If you can't understand what everyone has told you on this thread and on the other then it would appear you will never take note. So why not just do it, pay the money, and I'm sure you will have another thread up in a year or so complaining that the job guarantee was not fulfilled, or that you could not complete the training due to something or other! I don't know how much clearer it can be made for you!!!

TheMagician likes this.
  18. Sonicimage

Sonicimage Bit Poster

Now that's pretty enough of information - I've understood. I will be doing self-study, of course. I'm definitely not keen on throwing my money away!
    Found Professor Messer's videos and registered. Going to buy Pearson IT Certification book (blue). I have this edition for ICND1 and was reading it, and like the way it's written. But the only issue now is: is it better to study for 801/802 or 701/702? As 700 series will still be valid till August 2013. But maybe it's safer to study for the new one - what if I don't manage to finish the 2nd exam till August? As anything may happen, even not up to me.
    Anyway, guys, thanks for all your advice!

19. mackie

mackie Nibble Poster

Hi Sonic

I am not in the IT industry. As a sideline, I run my own accounting/bookkeeping business and believe that a decent knowledge of computers will keep me in good stead when visiting clients. I have a lot of experience in working/ studying on my own so I reckon with a bit of hard work I should be OK with studying A+ on my own. I agree with the others posting here in that there is no such thing as a "guaranteed job." Keep your money, work hard and buy some good study materials.

Certifications: IAB, Sage 50, MOUS and MCP
    WIP: A+
  20. shadowwebs

Sonic, read through the objectives on both the 700 & 800 series and decide which one is best for you... if you worry that something will happen which will delay you passing both exams before August then yes your best off taking the 800 series exams but no-one on here can advise you fully when really at times you need to look at the information out there and take the opinion yourself on which is the best.

Self-Study is the best route to take, and you may find to be the fastest also.