Comptia A+ worthwhile?

Discussion in 'A+' started by bubs, Mar 15, 2009.

1. bubs

bubs Bit Poster

Hi everyone

I am currently working in a office as a accounts office as an admin assistant. I have a keen interest in building and fixing minor faults with pc's. I have just purchased the All-in-one comptia A+ exam guide by mike meyers. I also got train signal video help. The only thing which holds me back is the fact that theres no jobs out there in the credit crunch, but i keep hearing negative things like dont bother employers only want experience. But how you meant to get experience when nobody give you the chance. I live in the UK. west midlands to be precise. Is A+ worthwhile and do employers look for A+? Or would it be better to just go to college and study a IT maintanace course. This could be my last chance really to learn anything like this. and really, i just want to know if it is worthwhile or is it a waste of time?

WIP: A+
  2. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

If you want a career in IT doing the A+ is definitely worthwhile. Self Study it and decide after you pass the exam if it is what you want to do.

As for job opportunities, they are out there, even if you have to volunteer to help someone you know just to get some experience first. I have been working in IT for 2 years and will be doing an office install job for a charity fairly soon - obviously because volunteering is important but the experience should look good on a CV too! Put some feelers out, as well as my main employment I have had a couple of contracts just from asking friends/colleagues if they know anyone who needs any IT advice.

If you look hard enough and persevere, the opportunities will arise.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  3. Sofista

Sofista Bit Poster

Hi Bubs

I'm working in administration just like you, I know how hard it is to find a new job now. I was approached by an agency a few weeks ago because I have A+ on my CV, I was told that the company I might be working for (They want to employ new people from May, so I should have an interview in April) requested from the agency people with A+. I was surprised when I asked the women about how many A+ qualified people she's got already, she told me that out of 10 candidates only 4 are certified.

I know that every employer now wants to have someone with experience and it is worth so much more than certificates but... If you want to find a new job you should show to potential employers that you are willing to gain knowledge.

Certifications: A+, MCTS, MCITP, MCP,
    WIP: Network +, MCDST
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I think the A+ is worthwhile.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

Go for this. Especially if you like to work with PC's. Sooner or later you will get IT job.

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  6. bubs

bubs Bit Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. Im just a bit worried i make a choice what might back fire on me. im told if i study book keeping i could climb the ladder at my admin job, but accounts stuff bores me stiff. and while my job is great and easy to plod on with i figure i want to study something, so i can one day better myself, A+, Network+ and so on. I have the book and some training computer programs, im just guna go for it. MANY THANKS EVERY1 What a great Forum.

WIP: A+
  7. bsnmcahi

bsnmcahi New Member

Hi I am also looking to take my certificates I am in similar position to

8. bsnmcahi

bsnmcahi New Member

Hi I am also looking to take my certificates I am in similar position to and wondering if it is a good idea to take the certificates. I have a business and information degree and have worked in various jobs non IT related in the past few years. I am 25 now and looking to study the A+ certificates to try and apply for jobs in IT.

I have the time to volunteer 1 day a week in a charity in an IT role which I hope will improve my chances.

Martin

9. PaulieG

PaulieG New Member

Hi All,

I am about to enroll on a coarse with JBC Training in Coventry and they recently advised me that the industry is looking more toward MCSE/MCSA certified candidates and that A+ and N+ is not as important as it used to be. I myself want as much as I can get in certification so what is the A+ and N+ certification test like?

Regards Paul.:snipersmi

Certifications: Non
    WIP: MCSA
  10. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Not wanting to step on anyones toes, but training companies will tell you what makes the money for them, not necessarily what is in your best interests.

The A+ and N+ are very useful in making sure you understand the basics which will help you make much more sense of topics covered in MCSE/MCSA later on. I'd recommend starting with those and taking it from there.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  11. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

The MCSA and MCSE are certainly not entry level certificates and should not be treated as such, it devalues them as a cert. The A+ and N+ are great for learning the basics. I'd also recommend the MCDST.

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What they said ^

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Bubs,

Yes, the A+ is worth understanding and passing the certification to say so.

As for experience, try and get whatever, wherever you can - it all helps!

Best of luck!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  14. kilasuit

kilasuit Bit Poster

I am currently looking to self study the A+ and was wondering where and what books to get as just been quoted £72 a month for 24 months to do this so just turned round and sed no thanks.

Whats every 1s recommendations?

Certifications: MCP 70-271
    WIP: MCDST, A+, Network +, CCNA, MCSE
  15. greenbrucelee

The best books to get are compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers and PC Technician streetsmarts by James Pyles. BAre in mind that the A+ exams change to the new exam shortly but there will be some overlap although no one knows how long that might be. If you plan on getting the exams out of the way in the next couple of months then I would think you will be fine with those books. If you going to do it after summer then you will need Mike Meyers new book the 7th edition.

16. kilasuit

kilasuit Bit Poster

do you have a link for the 7th edition?

Certifications: MCP 70-271
    WIP: MCDST, A+, Network +, CCNA, MCSE
  17. greenbrucelee

Not sure if it's out yet the exam wont change for a few months and there's always some overlap between the new one and old one before they completly change.

If your determined enough you could get the A+ done before the end of the summer.