Comptia a+ with a teacher

Discussion in 'A+' started by Masato, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Masato

Masato Bit Poster

Hello guys.

I have been thinking about taking a course to get comptia a+ certification.Based in waht i have seen here meny of you take the certification by self study.The thing is that with all the work that i have from my university i don´t have much motivation to study by myself, i mean i know that i need to study but with a teacher i found more motivation.
    The course is not that expensive and have a lot of extras like soft skils seminars etc.

What do you think?

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I think you should probably not even bother, if you can't find the motivation to self study then how are you going to progress your career? Now had you said you prefer to be classroom taught because you like the interaction with other students then that's fine (my preference when it comes to training is classroom because of just that reason) but to say you don't have the motivation doesn't really cut it, what's to say you're going to have any more motivation when you're with the teacher?

The A+ really isn't all that difficult.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

When I studied my A+ I did it at college, there was 9 of us on the course and I am the only person that finished the course, took the exams and passed. The other 8 didn't take the exams, the reason I was able to is that after the course finished I then did around 2-3 months of self study by using other resources to top up the learning, the others didn't as they lost interest whilst on the course.

Overall this showed me that I feel self-study, for me anyway, is the best step forward for other certs.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I can understand not wanting extra study if you are already on a university course. I'd therefore maybe recommend doing the A+ after you finish your uni studies or maybe over the summer.

Some people benefit from a classroom environment but really most certifications are designed to be self studied. The A+ is also an entry level certification so paying anything over £500 for it is probably not value for money.

You do not mention your university course, your career aspirations or what you hope to achieve from certification. The A+ may not be the best course depending on where you want to go.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

TBH I agree with Simon, though I think what you said may have come across different to what you meant. Anyway yeah tbh I find selfstudy really hard, I love having a structure to learning already mapped out and interaction with teachers and students. I know alot of people on here self-studied the A+ which I find amazing tbh.. the heavy content blows my mind I've tried to self study for it twice! Maybe one day I will try again as I really dont want to pay the £1000 I've been quoted for a weeks course!

6. CJWelch89

CJWelch89 Bit Poster

Another +1 for SimonD.

If you can't find the motivation to study for what is probably one of the easiest certifications in IT then how do you think you'll fair when it comes to Cisco/Microsoft cert's etc.

I attended I heavily discounted course for the A+, only cost me around £150. Whilst on the course I couldn't help thinking I could have spent my time and money better if I'd skipped it and self-studied only. Can you imagine my anguish if it'd cost me a grand or more?

Maybe for a more advanced certificate it would help ~ maybe if you're already 3/4 the way there and a boot camp style method of learning would help you digest those tricky topics you just can't get your head around, but for the A+, forget it, self study.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    Certifications: Network+, A+, ITQ 2
    WIP: Security+, Server+
  7. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Do you think someone with little computer knowledge could selfstudy the A+? By little knowledge I mean the most technical thing they can do is maybe clear a low-medium risk virus and run a defrag.

8. CJWelch89

CJWelch89 Bit Poster

You mean someone like me? Ofcourse! I went from fixing tanks to A+ certified in a month!

The Mike Meyers All-In-One book coupled with the free Professor Messer online videos will easily see you through.

Certifications: Network+, A+, ITQ 2
    WIP: Security+, Server+
    dmarsh likes this.