Comptia A+ exam Newbie First Post

Discussion in 'A+' started by Nige65, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Nige65

Nige65 New Member

Hello All Members

At the moment i am coming to the end of a comptia a+ course at college so should be taking my exams may sometime.
    But after reading so many different opinions on the exams starting to get worried .
    I am led to believe that the 701 702 exams have been made harder to pass because of to many people memorising the book so they have added questions that only someone that had been working in IT would know is this true?
    Plus i am also led to believe that the older versions of comptia exams you had a choice depending on which line of career you wanted to persue. But now you have to do it all how true that is i do not know.

Now we have gone through the Study Guide book at college front to back now we are revising but i am finding it hard to read through this book again its not the best of reads in terms of enjoyment.
    I am more hands on than memorising books.

I have since learnt that there is only a 30% pass rate panic setting in now lol.

The opinions where not on this forum but general google search`s

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
    Certifications: Level 2 City & Guilds ICT systems
    WIP: A+
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Hello All Members

At the moment i am coming to the end of a comptia a+ course at college so should be taking my exams may sometime.
    But after reading so many different opinions on the exams starting to get worried .
    I am led to believe that the 701 702 exams have been made harder to pass because of to many people memorising the book so they have added questions that only someone that had been working in it would know is this true?No. There is no 'book' which you can memorise, only a list of objectives. Every author has to interpret those objectives as they see fit

Plus i am also led to believe that the older versions of comptia exams you had a choice depending on which line of career you wanted to persue. But now you have to do it all how true that is i do not know.There was a choice in the last set of exams (60x series) but in reality it only meant dropping one subject from two of the choices. Most people did the IT tech one which covered everything, which is probably why they dropped the others in this version.

Now we have gone through the Study Guide book at college front to back now we are revising but i am finding it hard to read through this book again its not the best of reads in terms of enjoyment.
    I am more hands on than memorising books.
    Get another book (I'd always advise a minimum of two study sources). Get yourself over to Professor Messer's site and watch his free A+ course. Buy some quality practice exams.

I have since learnt that there is only a 30% pass rate panic setting in now lol. Bull. Absolute bull. If you said there was a 30% fail rate, as in the exams were scored so that 30% of those taking it would fail, I may have believed it but not only 30% passing, no, not a chance

The opinions where not on this forum but general google search`s The cynics in me wonders whether most of these claims about how hard it is are coming from the websites of training providers.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. Nige65

Nige65 New Member

Thankyou for your reply Soundian i have looked at some video`s of the study and i do not have another book but i do have course work that i printed off into folders 701 702.
    i also have comptia practise questions that i use.

I am glad you mentioned the word BULL to the 30% which is a booster for me :biggrin

I am guessing but i bet most people start to worry a little towards the exams.
    I am sure i will find out in the next few coming months I.E April May then i will let you know how i got on.

But i keep getting around 60 to 65 % in the practise questions some are pure guess work as the way they are worded.

Think i need to eat more fish :blink

Certifications: Level 2 City & Guilds ICT systems
    WIP: A+
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Mike Meyers AIO is pretty much considered the Bible for the A+ so you might want to consider buying that. He has a good writing style so the subject isn't dry.
    Yes, I was worried in the run up to the exams, especially since I couldn't afford to fail.

My only other piece of useful advice is to get some sort of flashcard system on the go ASAP. The A+ has a lot of facts rather than concepts so you need to drill these into your head, If you can't quite recall what the minimum and recommended requirements for installing operating systems, the speed and frequency of wireless connections, video resolutions etc then you're throwing away marks.
    I used this as a basis and added my own entries. Then I used it every day, only takes 5 minutes or so once you've got it set up and it's a great way of getting a large amount of unconnected facts into your bonce.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job