compTIA A+ etc, Take a deep breath!

Discussion in 'A+' started by craig, Mar 26, 2007.

1. craig

craig New Member

At the moment I am considering taking further education in an area of computer technology. The only qual I have this is GNVQ IT in 2003. Since then I have worked on computers as far as building 3 computers from scratch, this does not qualify me and anyway shape or form I no but what i'm having difficulty with is finding the right area I want to go in to. I liked the web design aspect and I also like the building aspect probably more as was more hands on. I have been considering Advent, computeach etc to further my knowledge but find myself baffled by the acronyms of the many courses available. If I could explain it in a way that makes sense to me then hopefully I could get some advice on what steps to take. 1. I need a course that is fast track enough and popular enough to get a job when the training has been done. 2. As I like to build computers then to accompany that would be what! Like repairing them and other machines? 3. Do I need to take endless courses to actually get a job in IT industry? 4. I came across I job title of Computer Service Technician, is this still a job or course for me to consider?

As I’m 28 unemployed with funds to get something under my belt but with limited time of around 1 year to 2 to do it in what cert/qual will get me in the IT industry working and earning a good wage considering my above queries. I have looked over the comptia A+, if I was to do this course would this get me anywhere as far as employment? Are people looking for more skills then that? What sort of job title/skills do I have at the end of that?

I’m sorry for people reading this as some might sound confusing but I find myself confused on what to do and my love of computers/technology has become slightly distant recently due to this and have even considered taking an electrician course as the route and title at the end is simple.

Anyone with any sort of advice suggestions or even abuse lol, would be greatly appreciated.

A lot of text but I tend to waffle so tia! For reading. :nospam

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Stop right there. There is *no* course that will get you a job automaticaly. The market is just too competative for that.

Sounds good to me. Try talking to some local computer shops, prefereably non-chain shops.
    Strictly - no. They will help, but are no guarantee. Of course, some jobs insist on certain certs. This is basicaly a crude pre-sorting of applicants.
    Depends on what was meant by that. Job titles are slippery things, and are often made up on the spur of the moment, and even more often have no real meaning.

What I would suggest is attempting to get a job with a local repair shop, and at the same time go for some certs, starting with A+. The *combination* of experience and cert will stand you in good stead later on.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That is what i would suggest as a starting place too - remember there is no point at all getting certified in anything if you haven't got or are able to get the relevant practical experience in the same technology - a cert without expereince is just a 'paper cert' and they have no value in this industry.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)