CompTIA A+ Essentials in 10 weeks?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Parksy81, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Parksy81

Parksy81 Bit Poster

Hiya guys, only my second post but already loving this site!

I've enrolled to do the above course at a college part time, like many others I have a keen interest in I.T, repair many friends and families comps, build my own etc.

The course starts on monday, and is only 3 hours a week for 10 weeks.

Just asking for general advice really, should i get some reading material or just use the web?

Has anyone else completed this course in such as short time?

I've done a few free online CompTIA exams and am just short of the pass mark at the mo....

Cheers

Certifications: A+
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

A very good choice would be PC Technician Street Smarts by James Pyles.

Also look at getting the Mike Meyers all in one to complement the course material.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I can recommend the Mike Meyers book, and at £17 its a snip (plus huge :lol: )
    As nugget says the James Pyles book comes highly recommended on here too, plus with that book this is the ideal place to ask if you have anything you dont understand in it.
    Both are available on amazon and there are also reviews from buyers for them too.

WIP: A+
  4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Good advice there. Those are both good books.

5. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

are you sure it's ten weeks?,should be closer to 17 weeks,mine was 6 hours per week for 17 weeks,i finished my college course a few months ago,there was also the option to do one day a week at college for 4 hours,i think that was 17 weeks too.
    17 weeks is a bit long for this course,i think we finished up by week 16,and even on week 16 we only needed to go in for an hour,as there was nothing left to do,12 weeks would have been fine.
    Since you are at college you'll receive lengthy study books provided as part of the course,one of the books they gave me is 1000 pages long.
    It's not all that difficult a course,especially if you have repair experience to start with,i think the first week they explain what a computer consists of,this is a floppy drive,this is a hard drive etc...But it's not all like that.
    The course goes in peaks,tricky one week,easy the next,akward a week later,easy the week after.
    But for the most part it is just study-test,study-test,we had 13 weekly tests to do in total including 2 what could be called exams.
    They keep it interesting the whole way through the course as the topic changes every week,one week you are doing networking,the next your looking at pdas,mobile phones and laptops.
    If it is just 10 weeks,they must be doing a single subject as well as the advanced section of that subject all in the same week.
    The course consists of 10 single subjects and 6 advanced sections:
    networking and advanced networking for example.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  6. Parksy81

Parksy81 Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice! i was thinkin 10 weeks was short for the course but will have to do lots of self study to get the most out of it. i have been emailing the tutor an he is meeting the publishers today, i'm assuming for new issues...? He also said i dont need any materials so whether the college supplier them again wont know till monday. But for 230 all in didn't think it was priced too bad. I'm just glad to be enrolled so i can start getting my cv looking respectful an get job hunting. This is a excellent forum site for advice cheers guys.......

Certifications: A+
  7. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

if they use the cisco materials for teaching you every week all you have to learn is those materials every week for the tests,so if the cisco chapter is 40 pages long that's alll you'll need for the next week at college,and that is all you'll be tested on within the college course.
    Books are helpfull,but the tests don't centre around the books at all,the tests are about the online material they ask you to revise every week.The 1000 page book i got was never needed for any of the tests.
    I made the mistake in the first week of reading books,watching tutorials and movie clips,and practically ignoring all the course materials,then i thought to myself all they are asking me to do is revise from the official course material on a weekly basis,they then ask me questions in a test and all the answers are in the official course material.
    May'be they have left out the books if they are only charging £230 it should be nearer to £360 with books provided.One of the books is £30 by itself.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  8. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I think it also depends heavily on whether your aim is to pass the tests or master the subject.

WIP: A+