Comptia A+ 2009 or 2012 Exams

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by krrishone, Sep 24, 2012.

1. krrishone

krrishone Bit Poster

Hi All, I recently graduated with a computer science degree. I have decided to pursue career in IT support.

I am have been applying for 1st Line Support/ IT Helpdesk roles.

I was thinking of studying Comptia A+ certification whilst looking for a job. Most likely doing self study.

I know that Comptia is going to be introducing new A+ exams this october. I wanted to know your opinions on whether it would be worth doing the 2009 exams or would I be better off waiting and doing the new exams.

P.S. I am aiming to doing exams by end of this year/early 2013.

2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I would recommend waiting for the A+ 2012 exam to come out, but that is only because of all the rumours of the 2012 exam being released in the next couple of months... plus you will have the latest A+ certification on your CV if you start from when it comes out.

The alternative is to go for it with the earlier edition which is still live as there is a lot of training materials out there.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
    krrishone likes this.
  3. krrishone

krrishone Bit Poster

thanks shadowwebs for the advice.

4. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

If you want to get on with it i would just get cracking with the older version. I was in the same situation as you the other year on whether to get on with the old version or wait for the new one to come out. I took the older version as i wanted to get on with it and alot of people on these forums told me it didn't really matter what version of the exam you pass aslong as it says CompTIA A+ certified on your CV. Thats all most employers are interested in

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  5. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I agree with jvanassen in that many employers will not recognise the difference between the old and the new certification, as long as you have compTIA A+ Certified on your CV then they will be happy.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  6. iovan iorgovan

iovan iorgovan New Member

Hi guys.
    Forum newbie talking.
    How much time did you used to study comptia 2009 or 2012?